Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waste Oil Heater

Options
Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
What is the btu content of motor oil/tranny fluid/rear end fluid? I was told the btu of motor oil is the same as #2 oil .

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Close enough

anyway, for most purposes (there are slight differences).  To watch out for, though:

Some hydraulic and automatic transmission fluids are not petroleum based, and will have very different properties (some are, indeed, essentially fireproof -- intentionally).  I have no direct facts, but it seems possible to me that some fully synthetic motor oils may also have rather different heating values.

Another big difference to watch out for is, of course, viscosity, which will affect (sometimes dramatically) the flow rate from a specific nozzle at a specific pressure, leading to potential combustion problems.

And there is a third, but with the type of oils you are looking at it shouldn't be a problem: flashpoint and volatility characteristics.

Some lubricants have metallic compounds (usually molybdenum or lithium) added to enhance their properties under high contact pressure -- I know that some rear axle lubricants do.  They might give you problems with ash or coking; I don't know.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well now,

that is a lot -a- bit more info than I got from the Reznor girl ! Thanks Jamie! The ash is a yearly cleanup on a yearly routine.
This discussion has been closed.