Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam

I have a one pipe steam heating system and two radiators on the second floor that just get to hot.I have been looking at these macon 1/8 inch steam vents that regulate temperature buy way of a thermostatic valve.The inlet piping is 1/1/2 and I really don't want to change the angle rad valve at the floor,im just not sure this little air vent valve is gonna do the job any thoughts? whats gonna work better? 1/1/2 thermostatic valve or this 1/8 inch thermostatic air vent valve


  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Is this the one your looking at?

    I assume your looking at this - 


    The way they work is to stop steam getting into the radiator by blocking the air from leaving the radiator. If the air can't leave the steam can't get in.

    What kind of air vents are on the radiators now? It might be worth trying Hoffman 40's first because they cost a lot less than a TRV does. If they still get too hot you can install the TRV's.

    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    vent valve

    Air vent valve is the only one recommended for one pipe. You're not supposed to modulate the intake on a one pipe. That angle valve is strictly for full open or completely closed. There's thermostatic vent valves with an integrated vacuum break.
This discussion has been closed.