Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem heating second level

Options
Cdayton
Cdayton Member Posts: 10
I have a split level built in 1957 heated with an oil fired Weil McLain hot water baseboard system. The boiler was installed in 2011 and the family room level has its own thermostat. The lower two levels of the house are comfortable. The bedroom level does not get beyond 68 degrees when temps are moderate outside. On colder windy evenings the temp rides around 66 degrees even when the thermostat for the heat is set at 70 degrees.

All of the baseboards are hot and there is no air in the system.

The windows are new double thermopane and were insulated well when installed. The attic spaces have thermal blanket insulation that was installed over the blown in insulation that was in the house.

At a loss of what the problem may be. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Questions

What type of baseboard do you have?

How many feet of base board?

How big is the room?

What type of construction,insulation,windows?

Is the water returning to the boiler almost as hot as the supply or is it much cooler?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Cdayton
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hi Carl

I haven't been able to find a link to show exactly what type of baseboards they are,

but they are the typical hot water baseboards with the aluminum fins.

The master bedroom is 14 x 16 and the baseboards in that room run along the two sides where the windows are and they run the full 16' length and 14' width.

The guest bedroom is 10 x 12 and the baseboards in that room run along the two sides where the windows are and they run the full 12' length and 10' width.

The home is a brick lower and wood frame upper with vinyl siding.  The windows are Anderson double pane with the vapor barrier and were heavily insulated when they were installed 4 years ago.

I am not sure if the water returning to the boiler is as hot as the supply. 

It does look like the water temp on the boiler may be 140*,, but I need to verify.

I also have a Taco Mizer on the boiler which was installed recently.
  • water temps

Water temps too low for this type of system.. installing a odr control will increases the comfort level .
  • bustoff315
    bustoff315 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thermostat?

How long has this problem been going on for?  Water temperature could most certainly be an issue.  What kind of thermostat do you have in the bedroom?  An old T87 mercury thermostat or a new digital one?
  • Cdayton
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thermostat

The boiler was installed 3 years ago which has turned into an ordeal.  So the boiler is a Weil McClain Gold series and was installed by a licensed reputable heating contractor (so I thought) in my area.  I had them back several times about lack of head on the bedroom level and they found no issues.

This spring I decided to have the house zoned and worked through another heating contractor who came highly recommended.  At first glance he noticed several things that had not been done correctly on the initial install.  So I now have two zones along with some other things that were not done initially.  They also installed a Taco Mizer energy saving device which I think Carl may have been referencing in his comment.  This monitors outdoor temp.

The thermostat was replaced with a Honeywell digital programmable thermostat for both zones.

I am hoping it's just a water temp issue.  The windows are new Anderson Double Pane, the attic has been insulated within the last several years.

Appreciate your input.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Mizer

I believe the Mizer is only good for 1 zone. Which zone does it control? The system is zoned with circulators and not zone valves, correct?
  • Stekay
    Stekay Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Circulator

If the baseboards are hot, could it be a lack of circulation? (motor running but no circulation?)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Chilly baseboards

Has the new thermostat been programmed for hot water heat (2CPH)?

This must be a control, or pump problem.?--NBC
  • Cdayton
    Options
    Mizer

There are 2 circulators and I have two taco mizer boxes.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Taco FuelMizer

You may have an improperly set up FuelMizer. The FuelMizer is designed to give your boiler outdoor reset control. This means that when it is warmer outside it supplies cooler water to your baseboards and when it colder it supplies hotter water. These units take some trial and error adjustments to get the water temps set up correctly. It may simply be an adjustment issue. Go to this link and download the instructions if you don't have them. Let us know if this helps.

Rob

http://www.taco-hvac.com/products/products.html?current_category=414
  • Cdayton
    Options
    Fuel Mizer

Thanks Rob, i have a tech coming tomorrow and will have the Mizer settings double checked . I suspect something is not set right. Will let you know
  • Cdayton
    Options
    Heating may be resolved

Thanks to everyone who responded.  This is an awesome website and I just happened to find it by accident.  You guys provided some great feedback and input.

So there were a couple of things going on which were causing my issues.

1.   I had a wire that had come off of one of the circulators for my second level.

2.  There was a little air in the lines that needed to be bled.

3.  A minor adjustment was needed to the Taco Fuel Mizer.

Hopefully with all of these fixes/adjustments we will be comfortable again.  This weekend will be the test as there is an arctic cold from coming in and it's supposed to drop into the 20's during the night.
  • Stekay
    Stekay Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Cyber Service

So sounds like we hit all three, and you got a complete service tune-up. Wishing you a warm holiday :)
This discussion has been closed.