Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk Quantum 90 Boiler EXCESS PRESSURE

Options
LOVE2DIY
LOVE2DIY Member Posts: 2
Hello:  I aM NOT an HVAC guy, just a simpy (smart) homeowner who can do many things concerning plumbing, electrical etc. 

I purchased a home with a Quantum 90 (100,000 BTU ) boiler.  There was a solder leak in a 90 degree elbow on a register in the living room (fixed it), and the orginal shut off drains for the 3 zones were leaking (replaced them). 

HERE'S the nuts and bolts-  The safety value (original was a conbraco), and it was "leaking", sometimes just letting a little water out, and then it was just "slowly leaking". I have to empty a bucket 3-4 times  a day.    I replaced the safety valve with a new one (Watts). Plumbing store said they are interchangeable.  (original had a535K BTU rating, new one is 510K btu).

I friend of mine (who is in the trade), said I might have a BAD thermostat? Can anyone confirm this are have any additional thoughts?  PS had some registers "moved" and another friend (in the trade, business owner) was gonna charge $1,600), I got it done for $600, parts included-still too much if I had just DIY'd.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    So....

Complaining about how much pro's charge as you are asking for free help is not the most polite thing to do. It also will not bring you the best results.

Was the pressure and temp rating on the T&P correct.

Most of these problems are a result of a failed expansion tank. The water in the system will expand when heated and needs a place to go.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • whatever you

Whatever you do for living, you are probably being overpaid.
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 62
    Options
    PRV

It sounds like to me like that the pressure relief valve is doing its job by relieving excess pressure. These things normally don't start leaking by themselves if left alone. Generally just the opposite is true where they seize up. Yes, the expansion tank is likely a suspect but so are many other things that could cause excess pressure. Running a boiler with a known defect and letting a safety device save the day for you is not a good idea. You need to find a pro fast.
  • LOVE2DIY
    LOVE2DIY Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply.  I did not mean to make it sound like we have been running it this way for weeks on end. The system has been OFF since april. Some shut off valves and a section of copper (leaking joint ) was replaced. I was reading numerous post for the Dunkirk Products, and research does indicate one of several items to look at. I am in  process of contacting the original installer as well as the other professional I know, to track down the real root of the problem. System was up and "running" fine (except for the water) for abour 16 hours, Decided to shut it back down.....   Good news is we have other options for heat (wood burner and/or oil heater)...

Thanks again for the honest answer, we will pray for you and trust GOD will bless you and your business. Thanks again. Craig
This discussion has been closed.