Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler install Weil Mclain WM 97+ need operation help?

Options
Danscrew
Danscrew Member Posts: 130
New WM97+ Condensing Boiler install ?Just installed a Weil Mclain WM 97+ 110 condensing boiler in my ranch style home. My questions are should I run it with the primary secondary valve open or closed or throttle it ? Running it open now  It seems like the return water is  mixing with the primary loop and not giving me a cold enough return. Around 130 degrees to keep the boiler in condensing mode for best efficiency. I am running 2 zones with Taco 007 pumps the internal pump is set to low.The first floor is recessed cast iron radiators with a one pipe monaflow system the basement is copper finned baseboard If anyone is familiar with this boiler model and can help me set it up to run more efficiently I would greatly appreciate it thanks Dan     if I left out any thing let me know   <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-reply/1312310/New-WM97-Condensing-Boiler-install">Reply</a> <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-edit-post/1312310/New-WM97-Condensing-Boiler-install">Edit</a>

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Primary/secondary

Yes, you want to run that boiler as primary/secondary.

What type and speed circ is on the primary loop?

What type of heaters do you have?

What is your outdoor reset curve set to?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Danscrew
    Options
    New WM97+ Condensing Boiler install ?

The main Header is one inch with Two zones one zone is a one inch monaflow for the first floor.The second zone is 3/4 for the basement finned tube baseboard.  The Boiler seems like its running fine I was just  thinking if I can bring back more cooler return the boiler would condense more instead of mixing with the primary loop and slowly warming up.I changed the water temperature to 175 when you change this is the reset changed for all.     thanks Dan
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Condensing

Dan,

The whole idea with the primary secondary is to insure adequate flow to the boiler. When you close the valve, you are putting the boiler and system circs in series.

That being said, it is difficult to get a wide delta t on the primary loop with a firetube exchanger. There is so little resistance in the boiler that even at speed 1, it is still over pumping. There is quite a bit of talk on here about using a delta t circ in your application. I have not tried it.

The best way to increase your efficiency is to lower the temps on your outdoor reset curve. If you can get your temps down on most heating days you will greatly increase efficiency. You could likely run a curve from 110-120 on the warm days to 150-160 on the coldest days. It all depends on the sizing of you radiators.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Danscrew
    Options
    WM 97+

Thank you Zman for replying

I was thinking along those lines that it would make the system run in series. Which would defeat the hole purpose of a Prim/Secondary setup I will lower the setpoint for the max hot water when this is done does it change the hole reset schedule that works off the outside air temps?? thanks Dan
This discussion has been closed.