Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam help please.. need some sleep!

Options
2»

Comments

• stressedout_steamgirl
    Options
    Hoffman vs Gorton

Hi!! To confirm .. I should get a Hoffman 40 or the slowest Gorton.. In looking at the website can you suggest which Gorton to get exactly?

Bob.. I am concerned you mention my boiler could be too big.. That stresses me out:( can it be made efficient for my douse? I have spent 1000s on this project so far! And cannot replace the boiler...ugh!!

Question... When the old boiler cracked the plumber at that time put stop leak in the boiler to buy me some time.. The water has been drained a few times however could remnants of the stop leak be messing with my valves.?

Thanks so much!!
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Main Vents

Hi- Before you get into radiator vents you need to determine whether you have sufficient main venting.  It would seem that you have two steam mains branching out from the bullheaded tee .  (Bullheaded tee - Follow the single steam pipe leading from the boiler to the steam mains. At the top of this steam pipe there is a pipe tee where the piping divides and one pipe goes one way and the other pipe goes in the opposite direction. This is called a "bullheaded tee" and not ideal however many, many steam systems are piped this way so don't worry about it!)

Anyway back to the two steam mains. Each main should have it's own main vent. The Gorton #1 is one of them and if you look in the picture I labeled there maybe another one at the top of the picture. Main vents can either look like a can of cat food on its side (like the Gorton #1)  or look like a bullet pointing up. See if you can locate the other main vent.

- Rod
  • stressedout_steamgirl
    Options
    Found it!

Good Morning Rod!

You are right! There are two main Gorton vents! I have posted the oics below. Plus a pic of the back of the boiler showing another drain I think the boiler may be able to be drained with. Please let me k ow your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Beth Ann
  • BRIANJ
    BRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    Options
    WHEN YOU'RE DONE

Hi Beth Ann,

I'm sure you're very busy now with all the help you're getting. When you've settled down you should insulate those pipes with fiberglass wrap.  It will not only save on energy but also may resolve some of the wet steam issues.

Another home owner
  • stressedout_steamgirl
    Options
    Update

Hi all!!

So you were right! We are working on the boiler and it most definitely has too much water in it. Also, the site glass valves seem to be full of ick and the boiler is full!! Over full!!

We have drained it a bit and we have cleaner the site glass. This is all to skim the boiler tonight. And we have the new Gorton vents for the radiators.

Lets us know your thoughts!!

We so appreciate everything so much!!
This discussion has been closed.