Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Galvanized underground condensate return piping

Options
LSF
LSF Member Posts: 3
An owner with a low pressure steam heating system (40 apartments) wishes to replace his buried underground condensate return piping with galvanized piping. His thought is galvanized may hold up better buried in the ground. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I recommended he stay with black pipe but go to schedule 80.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Underground Galvanized:

Galvanized steel pipe is just steel pipe that is dipped in a molten zinc bath. It is sacrificial and will wear off.

A posed question.

I have seen galvanized water services that wee 100+ years old and the inside looked like they were just installed. The same galvanized steel pipe in a similar installation is full of holes and the inside of the pipe is full of plaque. What's the difference in pipe and how is it made? The local water company where I worked had a lot of old Wrought Iron pipe mains in the older parts of their systems with no problems.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Copper

Not a pro but a lot of guys like to use copper for wet returns. I did all of my own below the water line piping in copper as well while sticking to steel and cast iron above the water line. I am aware of galvanic corrosion and I feel I chose the lesser of the evils.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Watch out

for corrosion, especially if you're pouring concrete.  The fly ash which is part of most concrete these days will eat copper.  You'll want coated pipe or sleeves where it's in contact with the concrete or where ground water might be present.

I'd seriously consider using Aquatherm for the underground portion.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    Temperature?

From what I've seen Aquatherm is only rated for up to 200F?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Correct

Aquatherm is rated for pressure use up to 200ºF.   Short term exposure to higher temps is part of that calculation.  Commercially-available PP resins melt somewhere north of  265ºF depending on the particular type.

I would not even consider using it on a radiator outlet. At the bottom of a system where the balance of the piping is metallic, I would feel safe specifying it.  An up-front discussion with Aquatherm would be required in order to assure warranty coverage for the job, but based on previous conversations I do not foresee issues as long as the system conditions are similar to what I described.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options
    galvanized inside

Make sure it isn't galvanized on inside of pipe unless you want ZnOH inside your boiler.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    You might want to look at DriTherm International

They specialize in insulating products for underground piping applications.  They are suitable for temperatures up to 480 and 1250 degrees F, depending on the particular product used.  
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
This discussion has been closed.