Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

parallel transformer question

gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
Hi Timmie- thanks for the book shipment. I'm reading your hydronic controls book (i bought them for my apprentice and found myself reading them instead) and have a question about paralleling transformers. I want to make sure i have this right. You have a very good description of HOW to do this but i want to make sure i have it right in my head as to Why i may want to do this.

Am i correct that for example, a no heat call at midnight, and its a blown 75 va transformer on a weil mclain LGB, am i correct that i could take two 40 va transformers and wire them in parallel if i didn't have the 75 va on the truck?

Also am i correct that it is desirable to have twice the va rating as is required?

Thats what i was getting out of reading your manuals anyways, and i hadn't heard that before so i wanted to clarify.

Thanks again for making those manuals available for purchase for those of us who cant make the trip to your school.
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• what

What book??? Where its avaiable??? Thanks
  • gerry gill
    These books

Timmie has some really outstanding manuals written in plain english for us public school types :) ..i would never have figured out the electric brain boxes with out his automatic ignition manual. Attached is his book order form.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Manuals

Timmies books are the best, i have about 10 of them and I am looking forward to picking up his updated manual on multizone relay panels
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Thanks Gerry

Why i may want to do this.

Am i correct that for example, a no heat call at midnight, and its a blown 75 va transformer on a weil mclain LGB, am i correct that i could take two 40 va transformers and wire them in parallel if i didn't have the 75 va on the truck? THAT IS CORRECT, WHEN WIRING IN PARALLEL THE VOLTAGE REMAINS CONSTANT AT 24 VOLTS BUT YOU INCREASE THE WATTAGE (VA) SO TWO 40 VA TRANSFORMERS WOULD GIVE YOU 80 VA.

Also am i correct that it is desirable to have twice the va rating as is required? NOT NECESSARILY IT IS JUST THAT BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER. HERE IS HOW IT WORKS, FIND OUT THE AMPERAGE DRAW OF THE DEVICE YOU ARE GOING TO POWER ...SAY A GAS VALVE WHICH DRAWS .4 AMPS YOU MULTIPLY .4 TIMES 24 VOLTS THAT GIVES YOU 9.6 VA SO A 10 VA TRANSFORMER WOULD WORK. NO HARM HOWEVER IF WHAT IS ON THE EQUIPMENT IS A 20 VA.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    MikeyB I am still working

on the multi-zone panels book. The more I dig into this particular subject the more that gets added. I am actually thinking of making them a part of my Hydronics Manual that is #5 in the catalog. What it would become is as follows:

Basic Hydronic Controls Volume I (this would be my existing manual with a name change)

Hydronic Controls Volume II (older multi-zone panels)

Advanced Hydronic Controls Volume III ( the new stuff)

I will keep you posted, it is just that I get so busy with day and night classes I do not have time to sit down and work on these manuals. So much to do so little time.
  • gerry gill
    Thanks Timmie

that clears it all up!

This discussion has been closed.