Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BURNHAM BASE- RAY & One-Pipe Steam System

sebas
sebas Member Posts: 2
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a one pipe steam heating system, and I want to install the BURNHAM BASE- RAY (Cast Iron Baseboard - Model: 9A8C & 9A6C.  Can I use the BASE-RAY in a One-Pipe Steam System?

</span>

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Yes

See page 4 in the installation manual.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • sebas
    sebas Member Posts: 2
    See page 6?

Thank you for the installation manual.  On page 6 of this manual, I found the following: “It is not recommended that BASE-RAY be used in a One-Pipe Steam System.”  I am a little confused about this. could you please give me your expert advice on this option?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Nope

I am in no way an expert or a pro but I see nothing in the manual that says it should be used in a one pipe steam system.  I see mention of a one pipe water system but that is all.

My guess, is you would need to mount it pitched on the wall and it would probably look kind of funny but I honestly have no idea. 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Maybe

The piping for 1-pipe steam is basically the same as they show for 1-pipe water. You have to pipe the supply and return separately. You can't get steam in and condensate out through the same 3/4" pipe. It's not the ideal setup, but it works for small sections.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • can be done

Can be done, just gotta know how to pipe it correctly ... max lenght on steam baseboard.. 10 feet.. to do it, I need to see the job for proper installation.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    pipe it two pipe

LAOSH illustrates this. Slope the baseboard so it drains away from main pipe and then run a little return to some where lower down. I've seen similar approaches for unit heaters.
  • Pat_11
    Pat_11 Member Posts: 49
    I wouldn't

I've never had much success with cast iron baseboard and one pipe steam. Every install I inherited had issues. It's not always easy to do, but if you want the baseboard make it two pipe. I don't have the drawing, but you would pipe the return back to the bottom of the main making a water trap. Good luck.
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    edited November 2013
    I'm installing baserays now

steam in one end, condensate out the other end down 30" per pound of system pressure and back up to the bottom of the main where it trickles backt to the boiler. I'll let you know how it works in a week or so.

Disclosure: I'm a homeowner.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    hope I misunderstand Joe

Condensate will not run up.I hope that those baserays are above the main.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Water trap

Joe I am not sure I understand you correctly, but the condensate drain at the opposite end of the Baseray does not need to drop 30 " if you are returning to the bottom of the main. The only pressure differential the drain end will see is the difference between the two ends of the radiator, not the full boiler pressure.
  • Joe V_2
    Maybe I didn't word it well

think "P" trap.
  • Joe V_2
    I see your point

Mike.

but I'm reading the last couple pages of chapter 7 and it says to do what I' m doing. I think I' m reading it correctyl but it wouldnt be the first time I read something wrong. We'll find out next week if I didn't!

J
  • Joe V_2
    results as promised-day one

Silent heating. No issues; No surprises.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November 2013
    Sometimes

I've seen people get 9A to work with 1-pipe steam out of sheer dumb luck, but they're just terribly suited to that application.

I've done several jobs where we've taken them out and replaced them with cast iron convectors which have an 1-¼" bottom tapping where steam and condensate can pass each other freely through the counterflow branch.

(and yes, before you say it, we did wind up changing the position the TRV/vent)
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Joe V_2
    that's why you are a pro...

I like that convector in your photo. Looks like it may have mor EDR than my baserays. But alas, I'm just a homeowner who has to work with what limited experience I have. B ut in, my case no dumb luck involved, I can crunch numbers and figure out what I need. Well, that is not true. If I had not lucked into this site some nine years ago I wouldnt have had a clue. Thanks to all who have helped me! I have hand threaded my last pipe this weekend on my system. It works like a charm.

It wasnt completely perfect. Turning a two pipe system into a hybrid, i learned something...You really have to flush your boiler because that microbial stink from boiler water and oil that sits over during the non heating system will vent into the house and piss of the wife! I think next summer, I will relocate baseboard vents to the crawl space where it wont be so offensive. Maybe.

I dont do this for a living because it is hard work. I did this project because there are no steam geniuses around here. I work hard , physically, in my career, but to work even harder on my rare time off was brutal!
  • PaulWalnuts
    PaulWalnuts Member Posts: 3
    Vent for Baseray

I have a question along these lines I was hoping to get some help with. I have a baseray ~ 10 feet in length previously installed on a 1 pipe system located in the room with thermostat on 1st floor. I know its not ideal but assuming I'm not switching to a 2 pipe system, what's the best way to vent this radiator. Larger/ smaller, type etc. Thanks