Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydronic leaks

doug_e
doug_e Member Posts: 2
Hello gentleman,  I'm looking for some insight on a hydronic issue.  I'm responsible for maintaining several large office buildings in Detroit area.  One of which has single pipe perimeter baseboards along the entire curtain wall.  every zone is 75' long, 5 per exposure per floor for a total of about 80 zones.  every zone has a sliding expansion coupler just before entering the return line.  here lies the issue.  many of the expansion couplers are starting to leak due to age.  Ive had 5 leaks this season alone.  these couplers have a threaded packing gland I've been able to tighten to stop leaks temporarily.  I've reached out to the original provider AMTROL who quit selling these many years ago.  They suggested I contact SLANTFIN who had been their supplier, same story no longer available.  Ive search on line and thru all my local sources with no luck on suitable replacements.  Ive been told to just remove them and not to worry about the expansion which according to my calculation should be in excess of .67in heating from 75f-150f. I'm skeptical that this would be o.k.  Any insight from the experts would be helpful.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,407
    A series of...

90 degree elbows would work. This would give you some flex. One up , 1 over 6", 1 down and one back to get in line.
  • doug_e
    doug_e Member Posts: 2
    hydronic leaks

thanks for the response, ive considered that but wonder if it  would provide enough flex.  these zone are allready tight the way they're piped between vertical risers between the different floors.  im envisioning some sort of flexible stainless steel wrapped pig tail.   
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What is the maximum fluid temp

in the system? Is there any outdoor reset control?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    How about a Dresser coupling?

they are a tidy connector.

perhaps there is a vic coupling.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    This is what Doug found ...

Expansion Compensators ...

one of the product listings at BraunFlex .

So if You have a similar need, there , could be Your solution also.

Thank you,

Doug

*~//: )
This discussion has been closed.