Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Leak

Options
Drums
Drums Member Posts: 2
Hello, new here & glad to have found this forum

I own a 3 flat which has an old boiler. It's a 1977 Weil - Mclain. I basically know nothing about boilers, but I did change most of the outside water pipes which had rust buildup on the connections, & I've had a lot of rust & sediment clog up the pipes in the past

After I filled the boiler with water & turned it on, I noticed about 4 separate leaks coming from the inside. Not big leaks, just drips every 10 seconds or so. They were coming off of a rusty inner wall

I know boiler repair guys don't like to work on the insides of boilers, the elements & such, but does anyone know if something like this has a chance of being repaired? I know it's hard to determine the problem from my description, but just wanted to know if people still will work on the insides of old boilers?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Leaking

It sounds like you may have leaks between the sections or possibly at the waterline of that 36 year old boiler. If you take the top cover off and over fill the boiler you may be able to find the leaks.

Sections 9and push nipples) can be replaced but with a boiler that old you could cause more damage by pulling it apart. There would be a lot of labor involved and there is no way of knowing if the next section might start leaking after the first was replaced.

So the answer is it can probably be repaired by the right technician but is it worth spending thousands to fix a 36 year old boiler?

Bob 
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Drums
    Drums Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the response Bob

Yeah,  it's a tough call. I'm not sure if the leak just started, or if it's been leaking for a few years but I never noticed it. I could just leave it on for a night & see what happens, but since I have a basement apartment with a tenant, I'd sure hate to see it burst & flood

Plus, I'm thinking of selling this building in a few years, & would like to get this boiler to the finish line. Also, it's an expense I don't need right now

Anyone know what a new boiler capable of heating a 3 flat with 3 3 bedroom apartments would cost installed? (roughly)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Old leaky boiler

Why not see if replacement sections are available (all of them), and compare the cost to a new boiler.

These leaks never happen at the right time, but if you live in the building, you may be able to nurse it through the winter, checking it every day.

Generally leaks start small, and are sealed by the particles floating in the water, then unfortunately, with rusting, the pinhole becomes a nail hole, and begins to leak.

Do you have an auto-fill on this along with some system leaks? If so it's the added fresh wTer which has accelerated the leaks. At 35 years, you got your money's worth.--NBC
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Boiler Weld Stop Leak

I've had luck using Boiler Weld Liquid Stop Leak for steam heating systems, made by Utility Chemicals. Sold online at parksupplyofamerica dot com, item #UTL15-1010. Read about it at utilitychemicals dot com.

Your results may vary.
    One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    There is a chance...

that something like the boiler weld might work.  Then on the other hand...

There are two ways a boiler can leak, really -- between sections and from a hole in a section.  Without taking things more or less completely apart, one really can't say which it is.  The good news is that it most likely won't burst; the pressures on steam systems aren't usually high enough to do that.  The bad news is that the leaks won't get any better by themselves.

In my humble opinion, that boiler is probably old enough that a replacement should be considered.  36 years is a pretty decent life span for a boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.