Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Knigt modulation and Buffer tanks

Hvac tech_2
Hvac tech_2 Member Posts: 21
After primarly installing utica and buderus boilers for years I have installed 3 Lochinvar Knights and 2 Syncs. One thing I like about the control on the Lochinvars is the ability to keep it in a  particular modulation percentage for a timed period using the ramp delay. One particular install loved to hum along at 30 percent and condense all day so I programmed the ramp delay to hold at 30 percent for a long long time. Looking on next install to add a boiler buddy buffer or other brand buffer tank, taco bumble bees and maybe a tekmar whole house control. Do the buffer tanks cut down on the gas bill. They are not cheap and before I try to sell one wondering what everyone expierence with them is. The lochinvar tank is pricey and I had one leaking Squire Indirect so not sure on there buffers. Just Looking to keep a low modulation rate and stay in condensing mode as much as possible with many of my installs being tied to original finned tubed copper baseboard.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Buffer

The buffer will only save energy if you have a short cycling issue. The "WB" knights have a much higher water volume than the "KB" knights and will short cycle less. Given the high turndown ratio of these boilers, I am surprised you have cycling issues. Is the boiler sized from a heat loss calc. Does the system have micro zones? It seems the ramp delay is designed as a band-aid for systems that have other issues. Most mod-cons do quite well selecting their own mod rate.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.