Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finished my boiler install (with probably one boo boo)

Options
I finished my little boiler install and it steams very well after skimming. The old boiler had a added on radiator branch coming right off the riser after the equalizer, I re-piped it from the main so the condensate is draining properly to the return.

Header is all 2.5" (around 30" above waterline) and reduced to 2" on the vertical. Equalizer is 2", then a 1.5" return. I installed a king valve and a return valve which made getting the boiler up to 7 psi a breeze, and the SlantFin skimmer setup really works well.

Now for the potential boo-boo.....I just realized that the 2" Apollo steam ball valve on the header in not a full-port, the ball is 1.5". I have a union 2 elbows away, so it's not a crisis to change it out.

The boiler is only 120,000btuh input, how much will the non-full port ball valve effect operation on a small boiler? Big effect? not that much? If it's critical to change it, I will, but I'll end up with a $145. ball-valve paper weight.

Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    If...

steam is getting past that ball valve quickly, it shouldn't really be that much of a problem.  What you might see is a distinct delay in the main beyond getting hot; if so, the steam is condensing going through the ball valve (saturated steam does some very weird things when the velocity and pressure changes).  If so, you are getting wet steam beyond, which isn't that good.  Is it $145 paper weight bad?  Couldn't say.  I have seen situations where it was very bad indeed.  I've also seen situations where it was no problem...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Drew2100
    Drew2100 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Spoke....

...with my supply house salesman and said will exchange with a 2" 125 gate valve as long as the Apollo cleans up like new. Gate valve will also be about $50. cheaper. Everything other than the valve turned out well.....think this is going to bother me if I don't change it out.
This discussion has been closed.