Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any issue with both gorton and hoffman as main vents?

Options
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm trying not to turn this into a Gorton vs Hoffman fight(unless the crowd is 100% in favor of one).I've got a residential one-pipe steam system. Just got a new vaporstat and really want to maximize the boiler's efficiency. I've got a main vent antler that can support 3 main vents. Currently 2 spots are plugged and an old Gorton 1 is on the third spot. I found both a new Gorton 1 and a new Hoffman 75 in my drawer of random boiler parts, and am looking to buy a 3rd of either brand.

My question is do the 2 brands have majorly different characteristics when it comes to closing, or will they play nice together and close at roughly the same psi? It would defeat the purpose of my antler if one brand either stayed open way longer than the others or closed really earlier.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Both good

I believe he Hoffman closes at a higher temperature than the Gorton does. The Hoffman is good vent but it is pretty expensive compared to the Gorton. The Gorton #1 is rated at 0.3cfm, the Gorton #2 is 1.1cfm while the Hoffman is 0.5cfm; the Gorton #2 is the same price as the Hoffman 75 that has half the venting capacity.

What length and pipe size is your main?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • rembrandt
    Options
    Main

BobC - 1 1/2" main runs 30 feet, 2 foot U-turn, 1 1/4" main return runs 30 feet.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Not much volume

If your numbers are correct and the vent is located by the boiler at the end of the dry return, you system has 0.67 cu ft of air; that air should be vented in 2-3 minutes. A single Gorton #1 would usually be enough to vent that. You could add the Hoffman to put ice cream on your cake but I don't think you would need anything more.

What kind of vents do you have on your radiators?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    for what it's worth

my system has one Gorton #2 and a Hoffman 75 on the same tree.  Seems to work fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rembrandt
    Options
    vents

Thanks for the replies so far! My rads have either varivalves or gortons depending on size and location - never had any issues venting the rad runs. Since the antler exists, I figured I would simply utilize it. Plus the replacement of my pressuretrol with a vaporstat has made me really want to make this thing as efficient as possible.
This discussion has been closed.