Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replacement sizes of radiators

Options
ssmh
ssmh Member Posts: 8
We are trying to replace some cast iron steam radiators. I have been told to always replace them with a radiator of same output to close to. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase radiators in the 12" tall range new? Or is there a simpler answer for this situation?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Radiator

Advice = Good luck

But, really...

You can find more radiator sizes from a private used sale then you can brand new. The variety of new sizes is almost a joke. They are all at least 20" tall. You may have better luck with a wall panel type radiator, like a Runtal.

You can also have a heat loss done on the room to find out what is the smallest size radiator that can possibly be used and still heat the room.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    The reason...

for replacing a radiator with the same size, or close to, is a little shaky: the theory is that that way, if the room was comfortably heated before, it still will be.  But... if you have improved the insulation, for instance, you might be able to go with a smaller radiator.  Or if the room was too cold before, you might want a larger one (but be sure to check that the steam pipe and return can take it).

What you really don't want to do, though, is mix types if possible.  That is, if most of your radiators are cast iron, try to stay with that.

May I ask why you are wanting to replace them?  Do they leak?  Or... why?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.