Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3 zone boiler with 1 zone being radiant

pooteo
pooteo Member Posts: 19
I am installing a completely new 3 zone oil fired boiler in my house. converting from forced hot air to baseboard and radiant heat. Both on the same burner.

I have noticed there is a return loop from the supply line going directly into the return line with closely spaced T's.

My questions are:

----Do i put this return loop right as the supply line leaves the boiler? or do i run the supply line to the first two baseboard zones then before the 3rd radiant zone i T it off to the return line and to the 3rd zone.

----Should there be a 4th circulator pump in the main supply or return line for said loop?

----Should there be a Flow check in the loop, possibly between the closely spaced T's?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Drawing

It sounds like oil must be the only fuel available. Here is a calculator if you want to compare costs www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls‎

A drawing of what you are proposing would be helpful.

If you are doing a radiant slab, you need to consider how you will prevent low return temps and boiler condensing.

I would suggest either an injection pump or 4 way mixing valve with outdoor reset and boiler protection. The Taco X block provides a good solution.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pooteo
    simple design

It  is a very simple design,

supply line to easy header for zone 1,2and 3

Zone 1 and 2 supply line connects to Circulator pumps zone 3 connect to mixing valve then to circulator pump. all 3 lines run their course and return to the return line back to the boiler. on the return line there is a line going to the mixing valve to supply cooler water to drop the temp to 120.

The radiant loop is a simple 100ft loop for under the kitchen floor attached between the floor joists in the basement.
  • Zman
    Drawing

It sounds like boiler condensing is not a concern and out door reset is optional.

If you post a drawing of what you are considering, we can provide you with more answers. There are so many ways people pipe boilers it is hard to follow your description.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • pooteo
    Drawing

I pieced this together from the uponor Manuel.I dont understand the purpose of circulator #1 or why the baseboard zones return to the supply line so close
  • Zman
    Sketch

Joe,

I am assuming you have a cast iron boiler?

You would not need any primary secondary if you did not have the radiant loop. Since the radiant loop can close off all flow to the boiler, I would do it primary secondary.

This is a rough (very) sketch of what I would suggest.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.