Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator for baseboard

wetheat
wetheat Member Posts: 5
Hello, we are considering removing a radiator and replacing it with cast iron baseboard. How do I determine the BTUs of the radiator? Its an old radiator, and its stamped rococo. 38" high and it has 6 sections with a total length of around 18". Its a hot water system. I can size the new baseboard but need help with the output of the radiator. Thanks!

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Btu/hr Of the Radiator

Is irrelevant. Need to calculate a heat loss for the room and size the baseboard to the heat loss.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • wetheat
    hmmmm

I don't think it is irrelevant if the radiator was sized correctly, and it was.

These math security questions to post are tough!!!
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited August 2013
    That Magic Word

"If"...How do you know that it was? Also a radiator capable btu/hr out put with 180 degree water is 170 btu/hr per sqft of edr, fin tube baseboard output based on a 1gpm flow rate is 560 btu/hr sqft.

May I suggest http://www.slantfin.com/index.php/homeowners-page/ipadapp for a heat loss application.

You also don't want to mix different types of radiation on the same zone.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • wetheat
    Then

I think it is right because my father sized the radiator (and the whole house) and he knew what he was doing.  I did run a load calc on the room, but I want to size it correctly based on empirical evidence.  The house, as it is now, heats perfectly and is in very good balance.  I know that it works great so I want to know how much heat the radiator is putting out and compare it to the load calc that I did. 

I don't believe in too much information to make a decision.  I want to know what I am replacing.  If you can help me there, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.
  • Robert_H
    Robert_H Member Posts: 141
    I think

That radiator was made by The American Radiator Company. I have the information at home. Ill post it tonight.

Just curious, if it is sized correctly why are you replacing it? leaking? Interior decoration change?
  • wetheat
    correct

Thanks Robert, you are correct it was made by American Radiator. Thanks for looking into it for me.

We are changing it because of room design. I know we are not supposed to use different types of radiation on the same zone, but I am not too worried about it with cast iron radiators and one piece of cast iron baseboard. I'll probably put a Danfoss valve on one of them to fine tune the control in that room.
  • Robert_H
    Robert_H Member Posts: 141
    Rococo

If is 6 sections and 18" long, that should be a four column Rad. (verify please)

If so, 6 section, 4 Col, 38" = 48 sqft. or EDR.

there are a few resources around to get the BTUH knowing the EDR and water temp.

there is a nice chart on page two of this pdf:

http://www.columbiaheating.com/page_images/Sizing%20Cast%20Iron%20Radiator%20Heating%20Capacity%20Guide.pdf
  • wetheat
    correct

Robert, you are correct it is 4 column.  Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.