Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vaporstats

Options
Flip
Flip Member Posts: 40
getting material together for my boiler install and was looking through some older threads for vaporstat numbers and ran across some less than kind words for the newer models regarding their accuracy . any news on wether they have gotten any better?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vaporstats

Here's my take. They aren't as accurate as we'd like, but they still limit the pressure to a reasonable amount. Right now, we're pretty much stuck with the one model. I, personally, haven't had any issues with them.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Keep in mind

the distinction between accuracy (how close a measurement is to the "real" value) and precision (how repeatable the measurement is).  The newer mechanical vapourstats have excellent precision -- that is, set it at X and it will turn off at X every time, within a very narrow range.  Which is what you want.  To get the accuracy, simply have a 0 to 3 psi gauge on the same pigtail, and adjust the vapourstat to turn off when the pressure on the gauge is where you want it.  It doesn't really matter what the scale on the vapourstat says, so  long as the pressure gauge reads what you want when it turns off.

I you are fussy, though, you there is a calibration adjustment available on the vapourstat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Flip
    Options
    vaporstat

Do either of you have a p/n?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Honeywell number

L408J1009

That is the SPDT model, 0 to 16 ounce, for vapour.  Be sure when you wire it that you select the open on rise contact!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Flip
    Options
    vaporstat

yes sir , thank you
This discussion has been closed.