Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Losing Vacuum

Options
Hiram
Hiram Member Posts: 1
I have a Vari-vac steam heating system. I have low vacuum on one of my two zones. At the end of that zone furthest from the vac pump, I get no heat on the riser above the the tenth of 20 floors. This riser serves a bed room and living room radiator a total of 40 radiators. We have done everything mechanically possible and yet no steam above the tenth floor. Please help me. I am going to start closing off risers one at a time to see if I can isolate the one line which easily represent up to 120 radiators. I have changed all disk steam traps in all of the complex radiators 3 years ago.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Vari-vac

Have you read any of the articles about the vari vac in the library here?

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/articles/1991/varivac2180.pdf

Could this be a control problem, as I see the intensity of vacuum is varied by an outside air temperature controller. If this controller is not functioning properly, then the vacuum pump may not run long enough to get all the air out of the system. When the steam rises, it will find some air in the way.

Could one of the rebuilt traps be leaking air into the system through the cover? Good luck!--NBC
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    can you tell us

more about your system; operating vacuum, condensate temperature, type, brand, and CFM of vacuum pumps?

Also, are there any steam supply zone valves associated with this problem area?
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    accuracy

You need a calibrated thermometer and vacuum gage. Then you have to tap in supply and return to accurately measure temperature and pressure(vacuum) at tenth floor. From a steam table book you can estimate how much air is there.
This discussion has been closed.