Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting, less better?

Options
Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
Recently replaced Gorton#2 main with Trane vacuum vent at suggestion of old timer, but I removed disc to prevent vacuum.  Result was no different, took about 20-25 min to satisfy thermostat, then duct taped 2 of holes in vent, and heat time reduced to 18-21 minutes.  Pressure remains between 1-2 oz.  How is this possible?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    T-stat

Is the thermostat being heated by a radiator near the start of that main?  And if so, how are the rooms at the end of the main?  Warm? Freezing?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fizz
    Options
    Room with t-stat

Actually the radiator heating room with t-stat is last on 2nd loop off system riser.  All rads heat as before.
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2013
    Options
    How long

How long are the mains, what size radiators and what vents are on the radiators? What size is the boiler?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fizz
    Options
    Length of mains?

Don't know length of mains, but radiator EDR is 518 sq ft, there are no vents on rads as system is Richardson, 2 pipe(see prior posts).  Boiler is W-M SGO 6, which we converted to gas last year.  It is rated 654 sf of steam.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Oh

I can't help you on that then.  I have zero knowledge on that type of system.

Sorry.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vents

Time to fill the main, or time to fill the radiators? If the radiator time reduced, it may make sense. Richardson systems only have vents on the return, so you may have forced steam through all of the radiators first, if there are indeed vents on the main.
  • Fizz
    Options
    Honest guy

Thanks for your input, and honesty.  Not having a problem, actually running for shorter time, with no change in heating quality.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,363
    Options
    Vapour systems

can be a little fussy about venting.  They like to be vented at the ends of the dry returns, rather than the mains.  The mains are usually cleared by crossover traps to the dry returns.

Your results are interesting -- but if it's an improvement, leave it be!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fizz
    Options
    You're right

Richardson does vent thru dry return, but they have no crossover traps either.  Interesting system, and simple.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Question

I have played around withe those old Trane main vents.  I have a couple that are float vents as opposed to their Quick Vent, which is a little smaller in size.  The float vent was designed to be used as a vent on the return piping. 

Just one question...   why did you decided to remove the disc?  The ones I had already had the disc removed and I, and a freind both worked hard to try to replicate a workable disc, but were not successfull.  So, I installed a simple swing check instead.  I like vacuum.  My system likes it.  Steam gets around the system faster on next cycle, etc.  Less air to vent if you don't let it back in.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Fizz
    Options
    Disc in Trane

Dave, think you're right.  I removed disc because I don't have a vacuum gauge, and my low pressure gauge went 1/3 of way past 0 on face, so rather than break it I removed disc and close-off 2 of vent holes which slows down air return to system which I think makes system heat quicker as my heat satisfaction time is 18-20 min vs 20-25 min.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Don't know

I'd rather vacuum and a broke gauge my self than fight the air every time on a system designed for vacuum.
  • Fizz
    Options
    Vacuum

My intention is to replace lp gauge with vacuum gauge and see what happens.
  • Fizz
    Options
    Vacuum

My intention is to replace lp gauge with vacuum gauge and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.