Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brew House Heat Exchanger

Options
Don't know steam. Trying to size a steam supply and condensate return for a, steam to water heat Exchanger. Our supply house says we should use a taco HX-1 Model G06408-S . Looking for around 400 GPH of 180degree water. our steam boiler is a 1,100,000. The inlet on the Heat exchanger is 21/2" and 1" condensate. Only running 20-30' to the heat exchanger, probably 40-50' to the condensate return pump. Should I figure a 21/2" stean control valve and a 1" steam trap on the condensate. Or how would I size this.

thanks

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options
    call a steam trap rep

Steam trap that passes condensate at correct temperature. If temperature is critical you may want to use a steam injector like Pick Water Heater. Or control like Leslie.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I assume

you are wanting to handle the condensate that drains from a steam to water heat exchanger, and this is estimated to be 400 gph. 

The 400 gph you specify divided by 60 = 6.67 gpm.  The usual pump sizing is 3x the condensing rate, although 2x the condensing rate can be used if duplex pumps are fitted to the receiving tank.  So that would mean 15 to 20 gpm pump(s) would serve.  A mechanical alternating float switch on a duplex unit will bring both pumps into operation under peak load conditions, giving you 30 - 40 gpm capacity available.

15 gpm pumps @ 20 psi usually need a 1/3 hp motor, if 3450 rpm pumps are used. 

Condensate receiving tanks are usually sized for a one minute storage capacity, so in this case a 15 to 25 gallon tank would be appropriate.  The above information would be correct if your 400 gph figure is correct. 

Condensate receiving tanks are available in several materials; carbon steel, cast iron, and stainless steel.  Cast iron is widely recognized as the standard choice and frequently come with a 20 year warranty against corrosion failure.  Typical carbon steel tanks are 3/16" wall and I would estimate have a 10 year life. 

Hope this helps with your pump selection.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
This discussion has been closed.