Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Detecting a steam leak

Options
I am losing about 1/2 of water in the sight glass per every two weeks. I think I have a leak somewhere in the system. I'm pretty sure the boiler is not leaking (I've overfilled it and let it sit and had no water on the floor - and there is no white plum coming from the chimney).

Any thoughts about how to trouble shoot a system leak?

Thanks (as always)

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    One pipe or two?

If it's one pipe, check all the radiator vents -- it's surprising how much steam can wander off through a vent which isn't closing.  And it won't help the wallpaper or finish in the room eitther, given time...

Might also be a leaking packing on a radiator valve -- either one or two pipe.

Otherwise, check the main vents; perhaps one or more of them isn't closing properly.

Also -- wet returns have been known to leak.

Other than that... a steam leak can be a bear to find, as you won't see it.  Might be able to hear it.  Maybe...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jeff_44
    Jeff_44 Member Posts: 94
    edited February 2013
    Options
    One Pipe

Thanks, I have a one pipe system. I just replaced all the rad vents in the fall with Maid-o-mist. I do find that there is some water in them. I have checked for leaks in the wet return and found non. I've tightened all the rad valves and their respective nuts. My boiler doesn't generated much pressure and I have a 0 - 3 lbs gauge. When the boiler is burning, the gauge needle bounces but never gets much past the zero. There is one rad vent that whistles a little once the boiler cycles off - don't know if this means anything?
This discussion has been closed.