Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO to auto feeder connection

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to add an auto feeder to my furnace. I understand it should be connected to the LWCO unit. Can you kindly help me postitively locate it? It seems like the square box next and above the pressure gauge, but I would like to make sure.

Is there anything peculiar about wiring it to a WFE-120 electric feeder?

I am attaching a picture of the furnace.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    The low water cut off

is that large black contraption connected by pipes to the gauge glass taps.  The blowdown valve for it is the valve on its bottom with a yellow lever handle; it should be blown down once a week or so.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jansuch
    Jansuch Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks Jaime. This helps. It is quite a serious piece. I hope I find easily the right terminals. Any tips? It is again for wiring an auto feeder.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    IIRC

The float switch on the McDonnell-Miller 67 had two sets of contacts--open on low water and close on low water. The former cuts the control circuit to the gas valve; the latter may be used to activate a water feeder. The IOM should tell you exactly how to connect it.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Auto feed

Why do you want to add an auto feed? Auto feeds are bad. With an auto feed you will never know if you have a leak and the excess makeup water will shorten the lifespan of you boiler. They also typically reduce efficiency by keeping the boiler water level at a less then efficient level. Without leaks in the system you should not have to add water more then once every few weeks at most. If you do have leaks please do yourself a favor and fix them. Auto feeders do open sometimes and not close with will result in a flooded system and house
  • Jansuch
    Options
    auto feeder

All good points. In the past I had to add water 2-3 times a week. I did not think there are excessive losses but obviously there are some. I am renting the house. So far, my tenants flooded the system once by adding excess water and also recently broke the valve used to top off the water - again flooding the system. While replacing the valve, I decided to put an auto feeder on so there is less need for human intervention.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Not a good idea.

A water feeder is not a labor saving device. It is a safety device. It prevents a leak from turning into a no-heat emergency. In normal use it should never activate. When it does, that should be a call to action: you need to fix that leak!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    With all due respect...

while I agree with Hap (in general, and almost all the time!), in a rental situation with a known slow leak and somewhat dubious tenants -- it is more than a safety device.  If you the super can't be there every day to check, there is every reason to have an autofeeder.

Yes you should get the leak fixed.  In the meantime, the autofeeder will keep your tenants somewhat dubious fingers off the valve.

My take?  Go for it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jansuch
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks Jamie and Hap
This discussion has been closed.