Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SecondOpinion

Options
Chris1
Chris1 Member Posts: 1
I recently had a new Smith 8 Series Steam Boiler Installed. It is Oil Fired. The Technician who installed the boiler set the pressure at 1 1/2 psi.

If I set my thermostat to 75, the old boiler would run continuously until the thermostat reached 75 and then would shut off. 

With the new boiler, if I set the thermostat to 75, and it's currently 68, the boiler runs for about 10 minutes and shuts off. It then kicks back on in approx. 1 minute and runs for about 5 minutes and shuts off. It continues this way until the thermostat reaches 75.

The Technician says that's the way it works. It's efficient. This really doesn't make sense to me. I am not sure if that is the way it's supposed to work or not? Granted my old boiler was not working very effectively (Had a large hole in the block and the radiators hissed a lot because steam vents were leaking), so I don't have much to compare it to. We did replace all the vents in the radiators, which seen to get hot, but do not pour out constant heat.

Not sure who to trust, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Differential

What is the differential set at? What type of pressuretrol?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

It sounds like the installation and repairs really tightened things up. The new boiler is able to build pressure and that's why it's cycling. As long as the boiler isn't over sized, I think it sounds fine.

Do you want your house 75°? That's awfully hot.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    New short-cycling

I think you could reduce the cycling, if you put some more main (not rad) venting on the returns. Do you notice the vents making any noise?

I think you would be more comfortable by having a constant but lower temperature. Setbacks do not really save any fuel unless they are for an extended period, such as going away for the weekend.--NBC
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Good points NBC

After the first 10 minutes, when the unit shuts off, are the radiator hot yet? Are the ends of the mains hot?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    It may be the Low Water Cut off

some have a test cycle that shuts off the burner to make sure the water level is true and not just foaming to that level.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    That is...

my bet.... The probe type Hydrolevel LWCO has a cycle-guard feature that I am not sure if a really like a lot.
  • Chris2
    Chris2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    SecondOpinion

I have no idea, where would I find that?
  • Chris2
    Options
    SecondOpinion

Yes, I believe they are hot.
  • Chris2
    Options
    SecondOpinion

Sometimes the green light comes on, not all the time. I did read about the 20 minute water test. I believe that is when the green light is coming on. 

When the boiler shuts off every 5 minutes or so, it seems to be that the pressure guage is reaching about 5 psi. Then the installer explained it is cooling down and then it kicks on again.

I have checke dthe water level as well, and it is operating at the normal level line.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    who is asking the question? thing1 or thing2?lol/

chris1 or chris2? what is the cut in psi and the cut out psi on the pressurtrol?
This discussion has been closed.