Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

We've got heat!

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
OK, so it's NOT from the new boilers. Those are soon to be on order after "my guy", with whom I thought I was on the same page, priced me all out and was on the verge of ordering the TR50s for Hot Water!!! I can not win.

However, the other owner of this place, back in town for a whirlwind visit, discovered a loose connection on the gas regulator. After fixing it, voila, heat. I've had two people check out this system and neither caught this. To what are the trades coming? Everytime something like this happens, I think, "Thank goodness they're not doing the replacement."

Yes, I still need the boilers, but it would have been nice to have had some heat this winter. This isn't a question, more like a small rant. I know nothing about electrics and am a bit afraid to tamper with that sort of thing. I just imagine all the people who haven't found this site to help them understand their systems and rely on "the experts".

P.S. There is something magically wonderful about the little sounds the steam system makes as it starts up...the happy sound of warmth. I wouldn't trade for any fancy pants system.
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    Glad you found the problem

and one does sometimes wonder... I'm very fortunate in that I have several good people on whom I can call for help when I need it, and who don't seem to mind helping me. 

And the nice sounds -- very small, but the tick of an expanding pipe or something like that -- of the steam coming on are nice and relaxing, aren't they?!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    The wonder of STEAM heat!

Heat!!! I never thought I'd say that's enough heat for one day! I think the body gets used to cold temps and then normal ones seem really hot.

So, this is the amazing thing about steam as compared to other forms of heating. Once it gets going, it's almost instantaneous to all the rads. Combined with the huge amount of BTUs being radiated, the house came back from a DEEP set-back ie. no heat at all, within an hour.

I ran downstairs to see what a new noise was...yikes, it was the sound of my new gas meter flying around! I'd never really seen or heard it in action! Needless to say, it has been a COLD winter thus far.

We should all appreciate the wonder of central heating and think of those that lack this luxury here in the States due to disasters, and those around the world for whatever reason. My cat has come to life and finally crawled off the heating pad onto the trunk in front of the radiator. Leave it to a cat to find the warmest spot in the house!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
This discussion has been closed.