Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

another placement of main vents question?

Options
RTW
RTW Member Posts: 60
I have single pipe steam in my home that works well. However, the main vents ( Dole 55) are placed at the end of the returns, higher up, where the return 90's down and back to the boiler. I have two mains that run off header. From reading this forum I'm guessing they should be placed on return nearest where the main changes to the smaller pipe? ( homeowner)

Comments

• Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Vent location

I'm not a plumber, but if your system is working well perhaps there is no problem.  The system in the home I live in had them just like you describe.  I did make an antler to add venting.  But the system had the vents on 4-6" nipples.  The problems began when we got a new boiler.  One of the vents clogged, but then the system needed cleaning.  If the vents don't clog and you don't need more venting, why worry.  Posting a picture would not hurt.  Pictures help.  
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    As usual...

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Keep in mind that the whole idea of the vents is to get the air out of the mains, fast.  If they can do that -- there are no real obstacles to the passage of air -- it really doesn't matter.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RTW
    RTW Member Posts: 60
    Options
    photo of main vents in relation to boiler

Here is set-up of vents - right side & left side of boiler - in photo
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2013
    Options
    These are my vents

It probably isn't the most beautiful setup, but it works.  If you look at the insulation, you might see the stains.  The stains are from when the new vent stuck open and dirty steam was shooting out!  Didn't know much about steam a year ago. 
This discussion has been closed.