Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swing Check/flow check needed?

Earl
Earl Member Posts: 85
On another post a guy mention I don't need a swing check on my boiler. The old boiler had a DWH coil and needed the swing check. The current boiler is a cold start unit. I kept the Taco 241 swing check. My system is a single circ split series system. No zone valves, single t-stat. Oil fired Burnham cast iron.

My question is, do I need it or not? I know without it, it will gravity feed the loops after the T-stat is met. Would it be better to let that heat gravity feed and put the heat into the house rather than let it leak up the stack and into the basement? Or would it use more fuel to reheat the boiler the next time it called for heat. I see pros and cons either way and not sure what the best choice would be.

Thanks,

Earl

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    YOU GOT IT

well sice u know how it works and what will happen with out it, it becomes personal preferance
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Damper

I think the better solution would be to install an automatic flue damper. Then the valve would be irrelevant.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Single zone cold start ?

No need for the flow check . What kind of aquastat is on the boiler ? Some of them come with post purge .... You can let the circ deliver the rest of the boiler's heat into the system . Quicker than gravity I would guess , but that'll work too !
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    MPO?

V8 doesn't like heat only cold start,and w/o a flow check every start will be cold!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Earl
    aquastat

Aquastat is a basic honeywell. Will get and post the model tonight. I've heard of post purge but my aquastat has no thrills.

Earl
  • Earl
    Not a MPO

It's a V8 series, PV83WC built 09/2005

Earl
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would

have a flowcheck, if it was mine. Unless you are going to dump the boilers hot water thru another zone, that one will over ride quite a bit, and would be a waste. V-8 boilers hold a lot of water, and to gravity feed it thru one small zone, it will hold it's heat for quite a while. ODR would also be ideal, as well as a stack damper
  • Earl
    ODR and stack damper

Boiler spec states 12.8 gallons. I've been thinking about an outdoor reset. I don't know anything about stack dampers, I need to research them.

Earl
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    it will

help to stifle your heat loss thru tour boiler on the off cycles. They have been around for decades, and been improved, so far. Field makes them now. Flair was the 1st that I can remember installing. Those weren't that good
  • Earl
    aquastat model

My aquastat is a Honeywell L8148A

Earl
  • Earl
    Stack damper

I found them online, not too bad on price. I may have to add one if I have the room on the stack.

Earl
This discussion has been closed.