Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What to look for in a contractor to replace my low pressure steam boiler

Options
I have an approximately 30 year old low pressure steam boiler for my house and I was wondering what I should look for when choosing a contractor to replace the boiler.  My current boiler is a 1,000,000 BTU boiler which I am assuming is very inefficient.  From reading your information on this website, I have a one-pipe system, the system was installed in the late 20's and the gas fired boiler was put in in 1983.  The steam output according to the plate is 601,000 BTU.  It is a Burnham unit.  I haven't had any problems with it, but I was trying to be proactive before it did fail, or am I just being too early with thinking about replacing it, as another reason would be to lower my fuel bills.  My house is rather large and to come up with an EDR number would take me some time.  Of note is that there is a second unit in my boiler room that is not being used, an 800,000 BTU unit, and hasn't been since we bought the property.  I think at one point the two units were set up to alternate between firings.  For some reason the second unit is not used, a steam repairman says it needs to be worked on, as the bigger unit seems to be able to keep up with the heating load.    If I choose to replace the boiler what options are available?  One boiler person who came and did some work on the expansion tank suggested that I might be able to get a series of boilers, where on warmer winter days the first boiler would come on, then as the call for more heat was needed a second unit would then come on, etc.. (I'm not sure how many units I would need in this scenario though).  Does this make sense?  thanks for all your help.  Jack

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boilers

Where are you located? We may know somebody in your area that is a steam expert.

Look for somebody to measure all of the radiators, not the house. They should also look at the entire system, not just the boiler. Venting is especially important.

You have a great opportunity to install a more efficient system. Possibly using a bank of boilers or one staged boiler.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    One boiler person who came and did some work on the expansion tank

expansion tank on a steam boiler? What for?
  • Jacksiebe
    Jacksiebe Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Reply to my initial question

Can you further elaborate on your two options?  I am located in Northwest Ohio just off I-75.  That is could you explain what you mean by a bank of boilers and what is a staged boiler.  What kind of effeciency should I expect, and how effecient is the older unit I have now?  Thanks again.
  • Jacksiebe
    Options
    response to your question

Sorry, I may have used the wrong term.  Maybe its called something else.  Anyhow, water is fed into the boiler from this tank.   Maybe its called a holding tank.   Again, sorry for using the wrong term.  I don't want to sound stupid.  Just trying to get some information from you experts before I spend alot of money to update my system and if it makes sense to do so.  Thanks again,

Jack
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2013
    Options
    A Cleveland Steam Pro

Hi Jack- The guy you want to talk to is Gerry Gill. There are few people that know more about steam heating than he does.  He's located in Cleveland.  Here is a link to his website.   http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/   Look around the website as he has lot of information on steam heating that will be of help to you. He also has a lot of experience with multiple boiler setups as you can see by browsing the section on his past steam installations.

- Rod
  • Jacksiebe
    Options
    Thanks! I will follow up with him and anyone else someone may suggest

Thanks for your information
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Nw Ohio

This is the time to start measuring all the radiators in your house for their heat value (EDR),

The secondary boiler possibly could fill in in an emergency. If it's capacity would match the EDR total-quite likely.

Getting Gerry in to look at the system would be worth every penny.

I would cut off any water feeding into the auto feed, and see if the waterline remains at the same height,to check for any water loss.

I got 35 years out of my 1,050,000 btu boiler, so you may have quite some time left. With a backup boiler, you will be in a better position than I was.--NBC
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    1,000,000 BTU/hr

residential?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Yes...

His establishment is just a little bit bigger than the average McMansion...!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jacksiebe
    Options
    yes its residential, that's why I'm looking into what my options are

Hopefully you or your collegues can give me some suggestions
  • Jacksiebe
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment! It is a rather big home.

I guess you would call my house a rather big one.  I'm just trying to get information to see how I can heat the place more economically!  Thankfully the price of Natural gas has gone down alot the past several years.
  • Jacksiebe
    Options
    response

I contacted Gary and unfortunately he is too far away from me to come over and give me an estimate.  I will start the process of measuring the radiators so when I do get a quote I will save the heating contractor some time.  Thanks for your input

Jack
This discussion has been closed.