Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with understanding the possibility of non-traditional use of PEX

Kanefire
Kanefire Member Posts: 2
I have a floatation tank (sensory deprivation) and am looking for an alternate method of heating it to avoid any electromagnetic interference caused by AC or DC heating.

I was considering using PEX, but this is obviously not a traditional use of PEX and I would like a better understanding of what some of the drawbacks, pitfalls, or just outright misconceptions that I have may be.

The idea would be to use a closed system and recirculate the same water. I am considering 1/2" tubing at approximately 50' to be coiled 4 times in a 3' x 5' elipse. Conceivably I'd like to have an inline heater and hot water pump.

At first thought, is this project doable?

Would it create any noise? The environment of a floatation tank needs to be silent.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2013
    What is

Normally done to heat a floatation tank is use waterbed type resistance heaters in the liner.

I think the use of pex, a circulator, and in line heater would give the same amount of interference . Be a bit noisier also.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    actually rather traditional

other than the contact with salt water on the external side of the PEX.  Might have problems with EVOH, so perhaps a non-barrier PEX and nonferrous pump/boiler would be called for.

What is the heat requirement for the tank?  This will determine the required length of pipe.

Silent -- hmmm.  The acoustic coupling of water to PEX is quite good, so you'd need isolation between the pump and the tubing as a start.  Probably worth conducting a little experiment to see what velocity is audible.
  • Gordy
    In reading up on the fad

93.5 *' or skin temperature. Lots of Epsom salt add water. Silence being conducive to a meditative state.

Sound more readily in salt water due to its higher density. So I gotta feeling the cir, and heater would carry pretty well.

What will the tank be made of?
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    noise?

im confused, r u looking for somthing that is ellectrically silent (no rf), or somthing that is acoustically quiet?
  • Gordy
    I think

It's both from reading about these tubs.

Basically its a shallow tub that is filled with a rich mix of Epsom salt, and water so you are effortlessly buoyant think Dead Sea. The idea is to be relaxed into a meditative state so noise vibration etc. is not favorable.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Hula Hoops!

If money were no object, I would do a tank in a tank design like they use for brewing beer. The outer tank would be the boiler water.

My non traditional pex use is making hula hoops with my daughter. a few feet of pex, a coupler and some colorful tape and voila!  If you put the right amount of water in they work great.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Hoops

http://www.bodyhoops.com/ was started by a friend - they use HDPE tubing.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    PEX

We tried HDPE. The PEX seems to hold shape better.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    brand matters

if i were going to choose a single brand that i think would be most resistent to decomp (except uv light) i would choose WIRSBO. i've used tons of differant brands and wirsbo seems to be the best quality pex on the market.

wet rotor pumps r very quiet. i would use a slow speed, and keep the pump as far away as posible. also use a very flexable rubber tubing as a vibration insulator, at or near the pump and near the tub.

also noise can be very beneficial if u can find the resonance of your body, u can adjust the hertz to the rite friquency then from there dial in the amplatude to your amount of harmonic balance u need in your body. 
This discussion has been closed.