Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Set Back or Steam Heat

Options
Pete123
Pete123 Member Posts: 22
Does it make sense to set back a steam heat system? I set back to 60 degrees at about 10 pm, and for the system to be at 70 degrees when I go downstairs at 7 am. This is also partially due to the fact that it gets too hot upstairs if we don't set back.

But, in general, does this type of set back save money? Or have any other positive or negative affects on the sytem? THX!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Setback

Most find deep setbacks cause trouble with little or no savings. If your going to setback by more than a few degrees you might try staging the recovery so the system only has to recover a few degrees at a time.

Might be worth your while to fix whatever is causing the upstairs to overheat and thus make yourself more comfortable and save some fuel.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    There has been

over the years a remarkable number of threads on setbacks; it seems to be one of those topics that just won't go away.  Probably because there also seems to be a fairly wide range of opinions!

A sort of general consensus emerges, though: for steam radiator systems (and also for gravity hot water and radiant) any setback of more than three to five degrees, on a daily basis, is not likely to save much money, and may actually cost money.  My own feeling on the subject -- which is quite empirical, there being too many variables -- is that if the system takes more than 45 minutes to recover, the setback is too big.

Bob's suggestion of a staged recovery has some merit, if a larger setback seems warranted for some reason, although even there...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Fix the problems

If the upstairs heats at a different rate to the downstairs, then there is a problem with the balance of the system. If you get that balancing problem fixed, then both floors will have steam at the same time. Main venting is likely the problem here.

Once that is done, you will find it better to keep a lower constant setting on the thermostat all the time.--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,696
    Options
    setback

As others have said you need to fix your balancing problem beforw worrying about a setback.  My system if set to maintain 70F will maintain that in every room in the house on both floors.  I do a 3 degree recovery as I like to sleep in a colder house and have trouble keeping my bedroom cooler then other rooms not to mention the wife would complain about it being too cold during the day even if I could.

I'm using a Honeywell VisionPro 8110 thermostat and as of last week have been messing around with tricking it a little in the morning.  Nitetime temp is 67F and I have it go to 69F at 6:15AM using its intelligent recovery thing.  Then I have it go to 70F at 6:45AM.  So far, as I expected when it switches from 69 to 70 at 6:45AM the burner doesn't even turn back on because the house is already 70-71 due to slight overshoot.  I'm doing this trick to reduce overshoot and it seems ot be working.  I'm going to continue to watch it as the week gets colder.  I'm not doing a staged recovery as Bobc mentioned as I do not need to, I'm just tired of the house ending up at 72-73F.

As others have said some steam systems cannot tolerate a setback and it ends up costing more money.  It all depends on the system and how its tuned and from your description your system is in need of a lot of help.

Can you post pictures of your boiler piping, main vents and radiator vents?  It would also help if you could list what actual vents are in use and we can try to help you straighten it out.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.