Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shark Bite or no Shark Bite

Fellow Wallies, I request your opinion...

I am one of the unfortunate folks with Poly B in my house and yes, some of the fittings are starting to leak (my plan is to replace with PEX).

What's your opinion of Shark Bite fittings - yea or nay?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Longevity

I don't know.They are rated for 180*.
  • Earl
    Earl Member Posts: 85
    gatorbite

Lowes sells Gatorbite brand, they're rated @ 250 degs. I've used them on my potable water system on copper to CPVC and such. No issues to date. I wouldn't trust them behind walls or such. The o-rings can only last so long. I think they're rated for 20 or 25 years.

Earl
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Poly B

Are you replacing domestic water piping or radiant piping? What brand of PEX are you planning to use for replacement? Are you replacing it all or splicing pieces in?

Rob
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    No Issues Yet

Been using them since they came into the market with no problems as long as the pipe isn't out of round. Used them on hydronics, including outdoor wood boilers with continuous circulation, and had no issues.

Make sure you use the plastic insert on plastic pipe.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    Couple issues...

This may not be a problem for everyone so please disregard if doesn't apply to you.

1- Don't (as Earl already said) use them in walls or places you cant access. I had a customer who had frozen pipes and called me, she said the whole place is in copper but "forgot" about the 3 sharkbite fittings hidden in the wall. I spent 3 hours scratching my fat head as to why my new pipe thawing tool didn't work. Plastic fittings won't allow the circuit to travel!!

2- Antifreeze seems to eat the orings very quickly, so if the system has antifreeze I would avoid them.

In my experience they are great for temporary use, but wouldn't trust the 25 year warranty claim

Just my 2 cents...
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    edited January 2013
    buy a crimp tool

and use the fitting designed for the tube, either pex or pb. It may end up being less $$ compared to a bag full of "grip" fittings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    Not sustainable

I agree with Hot Rod

Crimp system is permanent

We have seen many failures over the years from these fittings

I believe they are made for DIY

make a professional, sustainable installation using crimp system

there are many systems to choose from

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    only place I use shark bite

is for tempory test caps and temporay repair valves. I vote for getting the proper crimp tool as a house full of fittings will add up fast.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.