Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trimax / DHW question

adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
I have a job with a TT 110 with Trimax control and a Smart 40 indirect. I'd like to install the optional sensor in the indirect and remove the aquastat but I have a challenge. The homeowner wants to remotely control the indirect with a pair of dry contacts. I used to just interrupt the aquastat for that purpose but suspect that interrupting the optional sensor will cause a lockout. I'd rather use the sensor because it gives more accurate control of the indirect temperature. Any ideas?

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    remotely control what?

What is the homeowner trying to accomplish?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Its either or...

not both. Does he want to put it on a timer? If he is concerned about stand by loos there isn't much... be sides letting the water drop to lower temps in a tank for long periods of time a lot invites legionella
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    This will work

Disable the domestic hot water priority on the controller and then break the hot leg of the dhw circ. through your dry contacts.
  • adambuild
    !

It's a vacation house. He can already turn the heat up and down with a new Honeywell Wifi stat we put in and he wants to be able to remotely control the indirect as well. He lends the house out a lot and wants to be able to shut down the indirect if no one will be using the house for a few weeks.

Thanks, Adam
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Not the best...

Disabling the DHW circ will not make the call go away. The boiler will still try to heat the tank.

I think you would be better off with your original plan without the sensor.

Tekmar does a nice job with this. You can put the entire system including t-stats in an away mode.

Given the low heat loss in the smart tank, I would be inclined to leave it on. Be sure to insulate the pipes and provide heat traps on the lines to prevent migration.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Ok try this

Find out from TT what resister you need to make the boiler think the tank is 140*F and switch from resister to sensor with a 4 pole relay.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    resistor

A 3.3kΩ resistor and a set of SPDT contacts will do the trick.
  • adambuild
    !

Thank you Uncle John and SWEI, just what I was looking for!!! Thank you to the others as well for the valuable input!!!

Adam
This discussion has been closed.