Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic Valve Selection Question

Options
I plan to install Danfoss TA2000 1PS thermostatic valves on the radiators in my one-pipe steam system. The radiators are

open without obstruction and not enclosed. Other than cost would it make more sense to purchase the valve with a mounted

dial and remote sensor (Model 013G8252) rather than the one with an integrated mounted dial and sensor (Model 013G8250)?

I ask this question since I am concerned that the integrated model may shut the vent too early since it's so near the

radiator? On the other hand this may have been considered when the integrated model was designed.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Considered

That's why they offer different configurations..  http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/Instructions%20RA2000%201PS.pdf
  • nz
    nz Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2013
    Options
    TRVs

I recently retrofitted all the second-floor valves in my home with TRVs. I went with Danfoss as well.

I used remote sensors (not operators) for some of the radiators that were enclosed, but not permanently enclosed. All the others, I went with the straight pattern. The article that was linked above should help.

Regarding performance, the freestanding radiators upon which I installed the side-mount operators work quite well. This solved my problem of some of the eastern rooms getting too hot/overheating.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    Not just cost

The remote sensor/dial models have a steel capillary tube you'll probably want hidden from view, so there's a placement and installation issue. They're great if you have radiator enclosures. I think as long as there's unobstructed air flow around the integrated sensor/dial you should go with that. The dial is not marked in degrees so there's no calibration issue.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Ah... on a one pipe system

you might find yourself a good deal happier if you installed thermostatically controlled vents, rather than valves...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    TRV's

Ake sure that your system is perfectly balanced with lots of main venting before you even order your new TRV's. The pressure should be as low as possible, verified with a 0-3 psi gauge. While the air is escaping, the pressure should be 2ounces, or less.

After making any corrections, you may not need so many TRV's--NBC
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Danfoss

OK, but you have to tell them to stop calling them valves.
  • Portgas
    Portgas Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Valves, Vents and Pressure

Sorry for the error in nomenclature..I did mean vents.

TRV how and where do you check for main venting?
This discussion has been closed.