Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leveling radiator

Options
I have a fairly large but short radiator in my kitchen that is pitched down to the left maybe an inch or so due to the floor. What's the easiest way to level the radiator? It weighs a ton so I can't just lift up the end myself like I can with my other radiators. If I can raise up the end a bit I will shove a block of wood under the legs on that side. I thought about sliding a rolling car jack under the left side and cranking it up but the jack won't fit. The finished floor is already damaged from other things and will be replaced in a few years, so I'm not concerned about messing up the floor. The previous homeowners never removed the radiator when they installed the engineered hardwood floor so they just cut the floor to fit around the legs and used escutcheon plates to pretty it up, but it looks like crap.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    Whatever works...

should do just fine.  I have a large (like... very large) pry bar which I prop up about a foot from one end on a proper sized bit of wood, slip the short end under whatever needs lifting, and push down on the other end!  While someone else slips another block of wood under -- in this instance -- the radiator feet.

One thing to watch: make sure that in the process of raising the end of the radiator you don't do something evil to the pitch of the steam lines...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Pitching the radiator

Would it not be a good idea to loosen the nut connecting the radiator to the valve?  I have a very short radiator that is pitched slightly wrong, but has some fittings between the radiator and valve. I thought of loosening that before attempting to budge anything. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    loosening valve nut

If the pipe is not willing to move enough to pitch the radiator, how do you expect to reconnect it when you are done?

Personally, i wouldn't touch the spud nut. I have a few radiators that are pitched the wrong way but have not touched them as they work fine.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    It's a union, it can rotate.

There's always a slight risk that it might not re-seat correctly, but I loosen them all the time. A lot of my radiators fit into their recesses so tightly that I can't change the vents without yanking them out. I figure it's safer to loosen the nut than risk breaking a nipple, and so far I've never had one leak after I re-tightened it.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.