Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

McDonnell 101 a

Options
I have a water feeder that will not feed....I cleaned the filter but nothing. The feeder engages but no water to boiler unless I manually feed. It looks like an older model, pre 1995 with no cartridge to replace. Any suggestions...I thought cleaning the filter would do it and it was really filthy but no good. Thanks

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    101-A Water feed.

Hi Tom;  if you can man feed the control then it's not a strainer/filter problem.  I am assuming it's 24vac solenoid.  I know you checked this, but do you have 24vac to the solenoid?  if you have power and the solenoid will not open, the coil is dead.  The only other problem to look at is, see if the LWCO is closed providing the power to the solenoid.  Let me know how you make out.  You said it engages the feeder, what exactly do you mean?  Are you hearing a click?

Mike T.
  • Tom E
    Tom E Member Posts: 15
    Options
    101a

You can hear the click of the relay? And the button on top goes in, but no water goes thru the valve. It will stay engaged until I add water manually. It is 115 volt, not 24 VDC. Thanks for your advice. If I drain the lo water cutoff, the feeder clicks on right away.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Prior problem...

Not saying that this is your problem, but one time I had a valve that would not completely shut down.  Turns out the problem was that the 75 psig pressure would not let the valve stem re-seat.  I am wondering if this may be the same except not allowing it to pick up.   Shut the valve down virtually all the way the re try.  Just a thought.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.