Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Barely heating

Options
Thomps
Thomps Member Posts: 5
Have a prestige solo 175 and 2 separate thermostats,one for up stairs aprtment and one for mine down. For the last approx 24 hrs the unit has been running non stop and both of the water pumps for both downstairs and upstairs are running constantly.The front panel display shows 3112. The inside temp for both is 66 in spite of the schedule on the 2 thermostats to be at 69.Any ideas! is there anything I can do or do I call a tech in.Adjusting the thermostats does nothing.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Reset

It sounds as though the fan is on, but the burner is off.

Turn the boiler off, wait a minute and then turn it on again. If it happens again, you should call a pro in.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Heating Boost

It sounds as though the boiler is operating as it is programmed on its outdoor reset curve. The reset curve adjusts the water temp according to outdoor temp; the warmer it is out side, the lower the water temp. It may have been left at the factory default settings which may not be suitable for your application.

Let me explain: 3112 code. The first digit "3" means the burner is firing for space heating. "112" is the supply water temp. This is probably very close to the temp that the reset curve is targeting. The control will attempt to run the boiler at the lowest firing rate for the longest time while maintaining the lowest water temp necessary to heat the house. This produces the best comfort while producing the most efficient operation of the boiler. It may sound contrary to our American way of heating, but trust me, it works.

The problem is that the rest curve must be setup by the installer to match your house. That may not have been done.

The other problem is that you're setting your thermostats back. That's counter productive to what the boiler's trying to do and actually saves no fuel at all with a mod/con boiler.

There is another feature in the boiler control that may not be setup correctly: the boost function. What it does is to boost the target water temp if a heating call is not satisfied in a pre-set time period. It's there to compensate for people who use set back thermostats even though they're not the correct choice for your system.

You may also have a bad outdoor sensor which is causing the boiler to think the outdoor temp is higher than it actually is. Or it may not be properly located on the north side, out of direct sunlight.

You should have a COMPETENT mod/con tech check it out and setup the reset curve to match your system.

If every thing is okay with the boiler, you have two basic choices: either stop using set back (the correct choice) or have the boost function set properly.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Thomps
    Options
    thnaks for the tip

Will give it a try and see if it works.Have recently called the installer too but he's not sure and will get back to me.
  • Thomps
    edited December 2012
    Options
    thnaks for the tip

• Thomps
    Options
    Thanks for the in depth info

This sounds like the installer will have to come and go over the unit.He was trained by the Triangle tube company back in late 2009.Last night at about 1130 I actually trudge out in the snow and around to the northwest side of the house. There was no ice build up on the outside temp sensor and no obstructions in or around the 2 pipes for the furnace.I called him over an hour ago , told him what was happening and he was not sure and will get back to me.Soon I hope...66 is leaving me with a cold nose.Shouldn't complain, I could be off worse and have no heat.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Sensor

The sensor is easy to check. There should be a chart in the boiler manual that tells what its value (ohms) should be at a given ambient temp. If memory serves me right, it's a 10K NTC sensor. That means it should read 10K @ 77* with resistance DECREASING as it gets warmer. Disconnecting it from the boiler temporarily should cause the boiler to heat the water to 180*
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Thomps
    Options
    Sensor may be it

The tech man will come tomorrow  and hopes to have a new sensor diode or whatever with him.The reset did not work and the unit went back to the 3112 setting after a few minutes .Hoping  the temp doe not dip lower than 66.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options

What I can see on my own boiler, On the prestige, the first number 3 is telling you that it is firing (call for heat)

The next set of numbers is the actual temperature of the boiler water. If this is a new install, this could be a result of the reset curve, depending upon the type of heat you have, 112 degrees may be too low to accommodate the heat loss. You would need to raise the "bottom" end of the reset curve
    Dave H
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    step through the INFO menu

1 = supply water temp

2 = return water temp

3 = DHW tank temp

4 = outside air temp

5 = flue temp

6 = targeted supply water temp (based on outdoor reset curve)
This discussion has been closed.