Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Check out this set up...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
saw this on Cragslist.... <a href="http://crosslinkconversions.com/">http://crosslinkconversions.com/</a>

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Bombs Away:

I was really impressed with the 6 gallon electric water heater rigged up as a bomb tank with the outlet going through the relief valve tapping on the top of the boiler.

I wonder if there is any nationally recognized testing group that has approved that?

Doesn't matter though, someone will buy one, install it themselves, and be sleeping over a bomb.

Lovely.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    It's magic

Are they condensing flue gases, or is this just hand-waving?

Most people have cooked a hot dog on a campfire. When you place the hot

dog above the flame you take advantage of the heat that is present. The

amount of heat that is produced by the campfire is barely affected.

Using the same concept, the system’s hot water heat exchanger is

directly in the flame taking advantage of the heat that is present.

There is minimal to no change in temperature of the hot air that is

dispersed into the room where the stove is present. The hot water is

then circulated through a loop system delivering heat to the attached

appliance.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    How to get your sphincter to do the momba...

1. Have boiler running at full output capacity.

2. Get hit by a power outtage...

3. Grab new roll of TP, and begin cleaning yourself up.

GREAT idea, but obviously not yet worse case scenario tested. The power of steam is simply amazing, especially when its not being controlled.

Ben there, done that, have the stains to prove it ;-)

I "accidentally" melted one down once. Not something you'd want to repeat in your lifetime...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2012
    Fine Print Options:

I can see you just don't understand and didn't read the fine print.

You buy the "optional" UPS like you use on your computer, only much bigger. You wire the circulator and controls through the UPS. That way, if the power goes out, the circulator pump will continue to operate. There there is "cool down" linkage that shuts the thing down. It has a safety device that stops the flow of fresh air to the stove and it has been computed that if the circulator runs for at least i hour, it shouldn't overheat.

That's an option that is part of their UL application but results are pending. When they sell enough prototypes, they will hopefully have the money to pay UL for their listing. CSA has already rejected it (I heard).

It's my experience that most cheapskates won't go with the optional safety device because some may be Off Grid and have no way to keep the battery in the UPS charged.

With the Temp. Pressure relief valve removed on the buffer tank, it will not open on high temperature, and as long as the pressure doesn't rise enough to to blow any fitting apart, you only need to worry about the temperature getting high enough to melt the 50/50 solder (which melts at 360' F) which is highly unlikely. Those things only used to happen in the old days. Like old Brown Bros. copper storage tanks connected to sidearm heaters with no safety shut off and the relief valve 30' away so if it opened, it wouldn'tt drain on the floor but into the sink below it. Just before the solder melted on the band holding the two halves of the tank and it became a steam powered missile and blew up the house.

That was in the old days. That doesn't happen any more. Things have changed now. 
This discussion has been closed.