Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

So, a Parallell-Flow and a Counter-Flow walk into a Tee...

Options
JStar
JStar Member Posts: 2,752
We just did some repiping for a customer with a lot of water hammer and cold radiators. The original steam main looked like the first picture. The 2" pipe was actually bent to make that swooping belly at the middle tee, where it drained into a dry return. The second picture is how we fixed it.

Comments

• JStar
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Fix

Afterwards. We kept both mains pitched the way they were. There was no other option that would be any easier or economical. The new return drops into the wet leg near the boiler.

Just a little trick to keep in the ol' skull library.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    So...

what did the bartender say?

Nice work, BTW...
  • alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Picture?

Hi Joe,

Could you try re-posting the picture of the corrected piping?  When I try to enlarge it for my old eyes, the sketch of the old piping pops up.

Thanks!   Jerry
  • JStar
    Options
    Pictures

Whenever I post from my tsblet, the pictures never upload correctly. You can open the image in a new window to view it properly.
  • Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Cool

Not only does it work better, but 50 years from now, you are going to really really really confuse the next installer who sees it. Imagine the fun of someone staring at that for 45 minutes trying to figure out why it was done that way.

Cheers

Richard.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,277
    Options
    reading piping

Some people can do it. I have to make a sketch and ponder. Once you understand it's obvious. The dangerous people are the impatient ones who proceed without understanding. Clients can drive one to distraction by expecting you to know the piping after a quick glance. JStar's work is excellent but it will confound the impatient.
  • JStar
    Options
    Thanks

I just think it's all really cool stuff. I bet everyone on this site gets a mention in the year 3012 edition of The Lost Art.
This discussion has been closed.