Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installed my new low pressure gauge

Options
Ordered a Wika 0-3 psi gauge from gaugestore.com and installed it tonight. Reworked some of the pigtail piping to incorporate a union where the assembly meets the boiler so I can remove the whole thing if I want to work on it. Added a tee and a nipple for the new gauge. It works pretty well - my system barely broke 0.2 psi until it hit 0.5 psi right before the thermostat shut off. I think that's pretty good. Thoughts?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Looks good

That will work very well for you. It sounds like your boiler is well matched to your EDR.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,731
    Options
    Looks good.

Looks good except for one thing.

When I originally installed my gauge it kept getting water in it over time.  I assume small amounts of steam somehow end up there and condense in it.

Later I moved it up higher and this problem seems to have gone away.  Hopefully these picture links will work.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • pcloadletter
    pcloadletter Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Should I fill the pigtail?

Okay so when I was putting everything together I thought, "should I add some water down the pigtail?" and I decided to pour some water down where the low pressure gauge would be. I thought maybe the steam would condense and fill up the trap but I wasn't sure. Comments?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,731
    Options
    pigtail

I filled mine but I think even if you don't steam will condense and fill it as well.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.