Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

underground gas pipe

mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 220
i have to go 4ft underground for a generator. im thinking just wrap the steel with extracoat yellow tape but no one has it in stock. i heard their is a black tape that will work also but dont know the name of it. i use the plastic on long runs but the stabs are quite expensive. maybe copper or does anyone have a better idea. has to meet code in connecticut

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,074
    gas tight

for a short run gastight sleeved in pvc conduit.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    could you...

use a couple of layers of grace snow and ice shield?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Underground piping

Black pipe is not aproved for under ground installation. You can use polyP gas pipe with a tracer and tape above it. Or TracPipe or similar product in a PVC sewer line with both ends open. There is also the option of using K copper pipe, again with tracer and and tape. Before going undergoround a valve is required as well as  exiting. This os of course best done by a licensed plumber who will know the code and sizing requirements and not to be done by DYH.
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 114
    Funny

We recently did a job with 5" steel ,welded and wrapped with yellow tape that was buried and had no issues with compliance.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,374
    like conduit

I like conduit for anything underground. Just make sure it's drained and vented.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Covered underground gas pipe:

That's because covered steel pipe that is approved for that use is legal.

I don't believe that uncovered steel pipe that is covered in the field with a product that is not approved by a nationally recognised testing authority will be legal, Especially when "field wrapped" with the tape that is only approved for listed covered pipe where if is threaded or welded. The tape covers the bare steel and fittings.

Last I heard, Grace Ice and Water Shield wasn't approved for underground gas pipe covering. No matter how it might or might not work.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Here in Colorado...

All steel underground piping has to be done with Skotch-Kote T&C pipe.

Couplings have to be double wrapped with mil tape,

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mikedo
    gas pipe

i used black steel pipe wrapped it with the approved tape. talked to the town first they said it was okay. going for the air test tommorrow
  • mikedo
    gas pipe

i used black steel pipe wrapped it with the approved tape. talked to the town first they said it was okay. going for the air test tommorrow
  • mikedo
    gas pipe

This discussion has been closed.