Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Error ! Insufficient water pressure

Options
Mikesask
Mikesask Member Posts: 4
I just had a IBC SL20-115 boiler installed into my shop on Thursday.

Last night when I went to empty the condensation pail I noticed that the boiler had stopped working. The message reads "Error ! Insufficient water pressure". I unplugged it for 30 seconds, when it rebooted it came back with the same message.

FYI the condensation pail is 20 L. Just have not run it to a drain yet but it would fill in 8 hours when it was working. I'm guessing that doesn't have any thing to do with it but thought I would let you know.

What should I do ?

The guy who installed it just left on holidays so I can't get a hold of him.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Insufficient water pressure

I am thinking you may have insufficient water pressure. What does the gauge read? Does the system have an automatic fill valve? The condensate produced by the boiler is not the same water that is in you system. It is a byproduct of combustion.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • MechTech_2
    MechTech_2 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    The main status screen

displays the water pressure in psi. If it's below 4 psi (I think, can't remember the exact psi) the boiler will not fire.
  • Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Low water error

Being boiler just installed you may have trapped air in heat exchanger

Check boiler pressure purge system if need be and restart

Good luck

Jim
    Jim Godbout
  • Mikesask
    Options
    Thank you

So I went and purchased a pony pump to put some water into the system. ( no water out in the shop yet ) So I opened the water valve after turning on the pump and it went up to just over 5 psi and then the error went to check "ignition module" and some of the seals started to leak a little bit of water. when I turned the valve off and then the pump the pressure went down to 0 and the original error message came back on.

What should I try/do now ?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Knowing you don't have a water feed to it helps

I hope you didn't freeze it? Installer should have warned you about low water, as air is eliminated it needs more feed water.

Try filling it up to 20 psi (hope he put an expansion tank on it) turn it off first and then restart it
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Knowing you don't have a water feed to it helps

I hope you didn't freeze it? Installer should have warned you about low water, as air is eliminated it needs more feed water.

Try filling it up to 20 psi (hope he put an expansion tank on it) turn it off first and then restart it
  • Mikesask
    Options
    how many times

Thank you for your input. I was able to put 17.7 psi into it and it is running again.

I have 4000 feet ( 16 runs of 250 each ) of heat pipe. Any idea of how many times I will need to add water do it ?

Cheers !
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Got a loooong garden hose?

I did a low mass system that I estimate has about 15 gallons of water in it.  I put about 20 PSI of water in the system and closed the ball valve by the pressure reducing valve.  The pressure went down to about 12 psi in about a week (cold) and remains there.

I think it is a safe bet to assume you have a bit more than 15 gallons of water in your system so you will have to add water a few more times.  How far is your shop from an outside water spicket?
  • Mikesask
    Options
    distance

It's about 150 feet. and I'm in Saskatoon.
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Wait A Minute!

What kind of shop has 3/4 of a mile of heating pipe? 

If I put a radial arm saw in there, could I also fit a jigsaw?  :)
This discussion has been closed.