Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham P-206-W 1983 Boiler NOT Firing (no vent damper)

Options
I just moved into a house built in 1964.  It has a burnham P-206-W Boiler from 1983.  I have three zones controlled by zone valves (White Rodgers Zone-A-Flow 1311-102 3/4").  I have an aquastat relay Honeywell L8148E.  I was able to turn the Boiler on the first week i moved in but know i have two issues.

ISSUE 1: I can't turn zone (3) on because my whole house becomes over heated.  Zone three is the concrete floor heating for the basement and lowest level of my tri-level home.

ISSUE 2: My boiler won't fire anymore.  The thermostats activate the zone valves but then the boiler won't fire up. 

Please help me trouble shoot this boiler and get it running again and possibly more effectively.

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler

Got a few loose wires, and disconnected wires in that relay. It could really be any number of controls that might be bad. Does the pump run?
  • dve10284
    dve10284 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Boiler

Yes the pump turns on when the thermostats call or heat along with the associated zone valve.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Pilot lit

It looks like the pump is controlled by the boiler. The boiler is likely getting a "call for heat" if the pump is on. Is your pilot lit? is the gas valve in the on position?

Your lower level concrete floor should be running a lower temp water than that boiler can produce. How are the other floors heated? You may need a mixing valve.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • dve10284
    Options
    Boiler

The pilot light is lit. The gas valve is on as well. The lower levels (concrete sub straight) is heated with in slab tubing. I can't even turn the ground levels on because the water is way too hot (no mixing valve installed). It does look like the slab heat supply is tied in with the water return from the upper floor radiant panels.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Late

I'd bring someone in to get things running, then you can work on getting them running better. It's getting too late to play with a no heat situation.
  • dve10284
    Options
    call someone

I have access to electricians and pipe fitters.  I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with the boiler to get the right person and material here.  I'm currently looking at it with an electrician now.  Any questions or help now would be greatly appreciated.
  • Paul48
    Options
    What's

controlling the zone valves?
  • dve10284
    Options
    Zone valves

Honeywell thermostats. I tested the volts on all three and one isn't reading 24v. I think that one of my zone valves is bad. Could that cause my boiler not to fire?
  • Paul48
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I

can't see how it would ever work. I don't see thermostat,circulator, or proper burner connections at the boiler.How are they supplying power to the thermostats and ultimately the zone valves? https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/95-0000s/95-6940.pdf

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-109.pdf
  • dve10284
    Options
    zone valves

The zone valves are being supplied by a 24 volt power source.
  • Paul48
    Options
    Seperate

transformer from the boiler?
  • Paul48
    edited November 2012
    Options
    No

line voltage connections to that boiler control either.I assume by now, the electrician realizes he has to start over, from scratch. The only thing they are using in the boiler control is the hi-limit, and they are probably controlling the kitchen stove with that......God only knows!
  • dve10284
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Line voltage

Yea it is seller are transformers from the boiler. I will load a pic in a second.
  • Paul48
    edited November 2012
    Options
    What

is that Honeywell box over the transformers? Can you post the model #? That boiler is not from "83". Has the electrician started drinking yet?
  • dve10284
    Options
    transformer

It is a honeywell RA832A.  If you look at the photo there are two other transformers below that box.  He left shortly after I looked at the over all set up.  The electrician didn't or wasn't familiar with boiler controls or power set up. 

I did discover that one of the zone valves is bad.  I read something about the switches in the zone valves tend to go bad?
  • Paul48
    Options
    Someone

had no idea what they were doing.I'd take all that crap out and start over with a Taco ZVC 404 EXP with DHW priority. Wire the aquastat properly.
This discussion has been closed.