Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler died, can HO tackle the install?

Options
racz
racz Member Posts: 1
First and foremost, I'm low on funds, keep that in mind and while I am complete novice to oil-fired boiler installs I am very handy with mechanical things, plumbing in general, just installed hot water heater with 0 issues (since the boiler also provided hot water for the house I needed something for showers) etc..

Looking at my ancient boiler from 1980's I know I could replicate what's there in about 3 days of hacking away at copper pipes, circ pumps, couple valves above it, some safety valves on the water supply, drain piping, that pressure tank to equalize pressures (closed water system), cold water supply etc... replicating is not the issue, it's what comes with a new boiler that I am unsure about.

Do they come with instructions? heck a diagram of how it should be plumbed per code (or some best-suggestion) would alone make me feel so much better about trying it.

I might have to rent the machine to work with steel pipes and make threads, I'm fine with that etc.. other than that it seems simple enough, electrical connections or thermostat wiring is a no brainer to me, that much I know I could handle.

What do the experts think?

Or should I suck it up and finance the boiler install?

Is home depot/lowes a decent option? I am sure there are horror stories, but it's not like it's a dude in orange vest doing it, but local contractor so I bet the quality differs from town to town (sort of like Maaco and paint jobs).

Comments

• russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Speaking from experience not a pro

First off, there is a big liability issue if something goes wrong and it was not installed professionally. Your home insurance will not cover the losses most likely. That said however it can certainly be done. You can buy the boiler and most other things (controls, aquastat, etc) online or in a plumbing supply store. I once checked with my local plumbing supply, and they had no problem dropping a boiler off at my house even though there was no plumber/heating tech involved.  The things to be careful about are ensuring that you can shut the oil and water supplies, electricity, etc.  Read this site and study the manuals.  If you are handy and have common sense, you can do it. Most of the copper and black pipe I bought at the Home Depot, although their black pipe threads are of lower quality. Watch out for their black pipe unions especially, I had them leak. Anyways I ordered my boiler online, installed it, set the burner roughly to factory settings, ensured it fired up etc. Then called my oil company for a tune up. They set the air right, replaced my new nozzle (he he), checked the draft, etc and I was in business. So it can certainly be done but I bet most people would steer you away from doing it for liability reasons...
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler.

I always say no, but that never stops anybody.

Copying what is there is not always a good idea. Not every boiler is installed efficiently. In fact, most have been hacked together from the start.

Where are you located? I always encourage homeowners to be involved with the work. You might be able to find somebody interested in helping, or at least advising.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Do you have a picture?

Could you post a picture of what you are starting with?

I have seen some real DYI nightmares and some that are impressive.

I would start by reading some books. There are a lot of little details that make a good install. Lot's of good books on this site.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Timing

It can be done, and done correctly, but you're up against it as far as time. The big box stores charge top dollar for services, then beat the contractor up on their prices, which leaves the contractor cutting corners, and the homeowner pays over and over.

You need to do a heat loss on the house....select a proper boiler, and then marry properly to the existing system.
This discussion has been closed.