Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Panel Rads. Connecting to

Options
I am installing Buderus panel radiators (home runs to manifold with 1/2" Fostapex) to add to cast iron radiators in a steam to hot water conversion.  I am using Buderus straight isolation valves which connect to the male R-20 on the radiator leave a male R-20 to connect to.  As I understand it, I can use compression fittings to connect to 1/2 copper or directly to the PEX but I would rather not use compression fittings.  Is there any (reasonable) way to convert the male R-20 connection to a male 1/2" NPT?  I would like to use a chrome union and nipple to drop below the floor and connect to the PEX.

Thanks for all your help.  The Wall has been a great resource for me.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    To say they....

are compression is kind of a misnomer... It is a barbed fitting w/ barbed split ring. They are pretty beefy. I did similar to what you did I just ran the Pex directly to the rad. the only isolation is at the manifold in the basement. The only issue I have ever had is one time i did not line the pex up straight as it was coming out of the wall at an odd angle. I suppose you could use the pex x copper sweat adapters and crimp them on.
  • Carb
    Carb Posts: 2
    Options
    Buderus Panel Rads. Connecting to

Thanks.  So I should relax a bit and stop over-thinking/ over-designing things.  I will probably connect directly to the Pex.  Are you aware of any problems connecting Fostapex (after it has been shaved down) to the Buderus PEX fittings?  Thanks Again.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    I have never ....

used Fostapex w/ that connection.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Fostapex is SDR9

The shaved-down inner section will be like any standard PEX.

It is NOT dimensioned like other PEX-AL-PEX (which has a larger ID for the same nominal size.) Learned this the hard way when I tried to use PAP compression fittings on it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    edited October 2012
    Options
    adapters

there are not a lot of NPT adapters that come from Europe. Barbed pex, or compression, or a straight BSP thread are the most common.

You might find a sweat connection to fit onto that valve, from Buderus. Caleffi offers sweat fittings for their radiator H valves, but the shape of the cone taper and o-ring may not be compatible with that brand of valve.

I like Fosta pex for that type of installation, with the correct adapter.

When you strip the outer jacket from FostaPex you don't always end up with a clean pex tube exposed, I'm not sure a compression fitting would work well on that surface?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I Don't Know...

About FostaPex, but standard PAP (Roth, Kitec, Mr. Pex, etc.) is essentially the same I.D. as regular Pex in the 1/2" size and will work fine with the RS 20 x 1/2" pex compression fitting. All you have to do is tighten it a little more than with regular Pex. We do this all the time on manifolds and Buderus panel rads.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.