Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Testing a CSD-1 Gas Train:

icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
I asked this earlier and got no responses and now the thread is gone.

How do you pressure test a CSD-1 gas train with a Maxitrol in it? I can pressurize it anywhere but not over 1# without damaging the regulator?

Doesn't it need to be tested for leaks? How do you test it?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited October 2012
    I assume you are in Mass

Are you testing the entire gas line and the near boiler piping?

What does Mass require on a commercial application as to pressure and time on the test?

Are you using air for the test?

What are the operating pressures going to be?

I do not have my Mass code handy it is at the training center so I am not sure what it says.
  • icesailor
    edited October 2012
    MA Gas Code:

I'm just trying ti test the gas train that I re-piped that was incorrect. It is LP so it will be 11" or so. No one can give me any information. I've never seen anything in the gas code. I asked someone who works for the major LP supplier and installer what I should do. They said to just use the gas. I don't feel quite comfortable doing that. If it wasn't for the 2" Maxitrol, I wouldn't worry too much. But I don't want to damage it. I only want to test from tha main shut-off at the supply to the burner (which includes the pilot line) and the end of the gas train that has a valve with ports.

Rather than using gas, I thought of using a gas regulator like a 1/2" Maxitrol and feeding my air compressor with low pressure air and use the regulator to drop the air to the equal gas pressure. While measuring the pressure with my manometer. If it wasn't for the Maxitrol. I wouldn't care. I could feed it from both ends and have equal pressure. I don't relish the idea of using gas because the boiler that it feeds is running on oil.

Maybe later, I will go to the MA website and see if there is anything. Normally, I would use my 5# gas gauge to test it. But because of the Maxitrol, there became a questiion. There has to be a way to do it. Someone else has had this problem. How do THEY do it? There's a drawing in the MA Gas Code Book on how to pipe a CSD-1 gas train on a burner from 2,000,000 to 5,000,000. It shows the pressure regulator right in the line. How would you test the train? That's my simple qiestion.

I just want to do it properly.

Like I have said before aout this. I'm just trying to fix something that wasn't done properly before.
  • Tim McElwain
    You did not say it

was LP in the original post.

Get the pressure up to the 11" gas pressure with the gas, hook up a manometer and if the pressure does not drop after isolating the section you are testing it is fine. That is taken from the Certified Employee Training Program for LP certification.

You can do the same thing on Natural Gas depending on what pressure you are dealing with.

Gas testing can also be done using the test dial on the meter after shutting off any pilots get the dial on the up swing and then mark the dial, if there is no movement in 10 minutes it is tight or do the same manometer test. both are acceptable for testing.

Or you could just use soap and water and look for bubbles seeing as this is only a repair and not a brand new job.
  • icesailor
    Brand new job:

In a sense, this is a brand new job.

It was origonally piped leaving much of the required controls and test ports out. They are now all in. I think I'll skip testing with gas and do my air compressor thing. The boiler is running on oil. My life is exciting enough.

I'll keep you posted.
  • Tim McElwain
    I would isolate that

pressure regulator as they are only able to take about 14" W.C. about a 1/2 lb pressure. I would also check the other controls to see what the maximum pressure is that  they can with stand.
This discussion has been closed.