Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Alpha

Gordan
Gordan Member Posts: 891
I'm finding the Grundfos Alpha on the noisy side of things, especially compared to the UPS15-58F right next to it. With the latter, when it's on I have to put my hand on it and confirm by feeling the vibrations, but the Alpha, well... there's no mistaking even without looking at its pretty display. For people who have experienced more than one brand of ECM circ in this range (the Stratos ECO, and the Laing/B&G ecocirc 19-14), do they all sound subtly coffee-grinderish or is there one that's a clear winner in the dBa wars?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    WHAT DID YOU SAY???

Just kidding. Actually, I have installed a bunch of Gfos and Wilo DCECM pumps, and I have never had a problem with noise. Sounds like maybe a ball of solder got in between the impeller and the housing. May have chewed the impeller partially which could cause cavitation. And then again, when you're making a million widgets a day, you CAN expect SOME rejects to occur.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordan
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the response, Mark!

I don't believe the noise is from the impeller, although that's one possibility - it sounds like it's coming from the ECM assembly itself. And it sounds familiar to anyone who's had much exposure to ECM fans that are typically employed in cooling computing and networking equipment - a kind of gravelly drone. Don't get me wrong, it's not deafening, but it would definitely make me think twice putting this on a remote manifold in a bedroom closet, so I was wondering whether any of the other ones were quieter for that type of situation. The manufacturers don't seem to publish noise ratings.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Bad One

Gordon,

I think you got a bad one. I have never heard the noise you are describing from an alpha circulator. Now alpha people are a different story. They make that noise all the time.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • sback
    sback Member Posts: 4
    What are the settings? What is the GPM?

I have a UPS15-58F side by side with an Alpha and there is no noise coming out of either of them. 
  • Limamikemike
    Limamikemike Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2012
    Alpha noise

I have a pair of them in service and I found that at lower speeds they will make some noise. I attributed it to check valve rattle. I also have a variable speed Taco 007-VV that will make the same noise at min speed.

All three pumps have the little plastic check valves in them
  • Gordan
    Not check valve

I removed the check valve from this one as it was redundant. It really sounds like DC motor noise and not related to flow.
  • Bart Vaio
    Bart Vaio Member Posts: 56
    Ecm Noise

I have put in loads of Alphas never had any noise, you have a defective pump or debris in it.  Return it to your wholesaler and get a fresh one!
  • Gordan
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll crack it open and see what I find...
This discussion has been closed.