Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Giannoni thread size

Dave_132
Dave_132 Member Posts: 65
I was trying to find out what the Metric bolt size was for the Giannoni heat exchanger. I am referring to the stainless studs that surround the front opening where the front burner plate connects. I have serviced some wher the threads have been damaged and has made it difficult to tighten the nuts. I thought that if I had a hex die in my tool kit when servicing, i could dress the threads if there were a problem.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    metric I'd guess

try one of the nuts on a couple different bolts at an auto parts store or hardware dealer.  Most nut and bolt suppliers have plastic nut and bolt gauges to identify diameter and thread pitch also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave_132
    Dave

Thank's for the info, I was able to determine that the thread size is an M6-1 that is a metric size 6 and 1thread per milliliter. I found a store that specializes in metric nuts & bolts.I also purchased a hex die which I can chase the threads with. I have found that several of these heat exchangers have some ragged threads which could cause a cross threading event. I also purchased some M6 stainless flange nuts. these are also handy to have on the truck in case some are lost.

• Preventing cross threading

I always turn the nut backwards until I feel the threads seat, then tighten up as usual. --NBC
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    a dab of

Chap Stick on the threads help lube them. I have had stainless nuts and bolts bind and break on solar installs also. A bit of lube assures they are easy to remove on the next cleaning. Same with brass threads on unions or compression fitting threads.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave_132
    Dave

Thank's for the info. I will add some chap stick to my tool kit

• Dave_132
    Dave

Thank's for the info. I will add some chap stick to my tool kit

• Dave_132
    Permeates anti seize

Thank's for the info . Given the heat generated around the heat exchangers on these mod-con boilers I am going to apply permatex to every thread.I have had enough of a scare. With the fine metric threads and the heat. I will add that to my tool bag .

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    nickel anti-seize

Is mandatory for all threaded stainless bolts, nuts, and fittings in my book.  Work-hardening can really ruin your day if you use a screw gun on stainless fasteners.  The copper stuff is cheaper and OK for regular steel, but the nickel stuff can be used everywhere.  Should be on the shelf at any fastener supplier or auto parts store.
This discussion has been closed.