Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Richardson system

Options
I have replaced the boiler on a Richardson system, Do I need to have a check valve in the wet return? Also, if I add radiation, do I have to use Richardson valves & traps on the radiators?

Comments

  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Posts: 18,888
    Don't need a check valve

    the Hartford Loop does that job a lot better.



    Richardson fittings aren't made anymore. If you can get MEPCO or Barnes & Jones orificing valves, they are the best choice. Use Hoffman 17C traps on the returns, their relatively low air throughput is the closest match for the Richardson ells.

    Co-Founder, All Steamed Up, Inc.

    Semi-retired

    Baltimore, MD, USA

  • Fizz
    Fizz Posts: 580
    Have a Richardson

    We have a Richardson System which had 3 add-on radiators back in the 30's.  The add-ons have traditional packless, graduated valves and traps.  PIping was altered to remove checkvalve and add Hartford loop.  For the most part the system works well, though I would love to convert added rads to Richardson, so if ever you come accross or decide to remove fixtures keep me in mind. 

    P.S.:  Dan had some information in an old Hydronics Magazine article "Dealing with the Richardson System" and I believe he addressed just what you are dealing  with.  Try contacting him to get info, or it may be in resource section of this site.
  • ooo

    I'd love to read that article. Google has nothing. If anyone knows where it can be found please post it here.
  • Fizz
    Fizz Posts: 580
    Find what you need?

    If you haven't found article, you can google it here on strictly steam site, just google Richardson System, 8 results pop-up, click on 6th title, belief it's PDF etc, then go to pg 12.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.