Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Horizontal Venting and Snow Line:

icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
As I said in an earlier string, we had discussed this topic in my last CEU done with PHCC of MA in their Session 4 class. I didn't find it at first and found something from Session 3. Today I found the topic in session 4.

The subject is as plain as your face.

The manufacturer of the appliance actually says to do what the inspector said to do as far as height. It is a Massachusetts Modification of NFPA 54-2002 1.1.2 under 248CMR5.02 (4) and 248 CMR 5.06(4)

Here it is. Every and all manufacturers call for the termination of 12" above the snow line. So, you must go to <a href="http://www.city-data.com/Massachusetts.html">www.city-data.com/Massachusetts.html</a> and pick the city or town you are installing in. If it is a small town, click the drop down menu and pick towns from 1,000 to 4,000. Pick the town. Scroll way down until you get to climate data. There will be a chart for snowfall. The dark blue line will show the maximum average snowfall in a year. Add 12" to that number and it gives you the height above the ground you need to be with the horizontal termination.

I live in Brewster, MA. Our highest snowfall is 13". If I wanted to vent a Veissmann with a sidewall kit, it would need to be 25" above the ground.

In Worcester, MA, the highest snow is shown to be 17". The manufacturer says 12" above the snow level. 12"+17"+29". The vent termination must be 29" above the bare ground.

In my opinion, the manufacturers are telling you to do it like this.

It forward thinking Massachusetts and our Board of Examiners of Plumbers and Gas fitters to be on the leading edge of technological evolution.

This topic was supposed to be covered in all classes for session 4 in gas venting. If some instructors weren't doing their job, shame on them. If someone wasn't paying attention, shame on them.
This discussion has been closed.