Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard using a tankless coil

How many BTU's can I get out of an internal tankless coil if I'm running a baseboard loop at around 180-190 degrees

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Model?

Which coil? Which boiler? GPM? I assume you are talking about a DHW coil inside a boiler?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • birdsalljoed
    birdsalljoed Member Posts: 5
    tankless coil

Yes Z,

I thought there might be a "rule of thumb" when dealing with an internal boiler coil. EX: ? BTU's per GPM or something like that
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Caution...

The coils DHW rating is not the same as its space heating rating because in the DHW mode, you may have as much as a 140 degree delta T between the incoming water temperature and the boiler water temperature. In the space heating mode, the delta T (driving force) may be as low as 30 degrees (boiler 180, supply water = 160, return = 140).

A good manufacturer should be able to provide you with the performance data for their coil, based on real world operating parameters.

Is this a steam boiler or a hot water boiler?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • birdsalljoed
    birdsalljoed Member Posts: 5
    M.E.

ME,

It's not a specific job. I have many contractor customers that ask me my opinion. There is so much conflicting information out there depending on who you talk to. I want to give them an accurate answer
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    There is only one correct answer.....

and that answer is "It depends", but you probably already knew that. ;-)

With so many boilers and heat exchanger combinations out there on the market, too many variables to have an easy answer.

Once you know the output capacity at the space heating savings in btuH, then you will have the answer to their questions. I assume you are in the wholesale end of things?

If you have a favorite boiler manufacturer, I am sure they can give you the answers you need.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.